Mould on grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tiles on the walls around my shower have started to get unsightly mould appearing along the grout lines. What can I do to remove this & prevent it from happening again?

The bathroom walls were tilled three-quarters of the way up the wall by the previous owner - I fitted the shower at the end of last summer.
This has also resulted in mould appearing on the painted section of the wall above the shower & the bathroom window.
I assume that I just need to clean the mould off & give it a new coat of bathroom paint to sort it - or is there anything else I need to do?

Help needed, as this has now become my other half's main moan!

Sponsored Links
Kilgore said:
The tiles on the walls around my shower have started to get unsightly mould appearing along the grout lines. What can I do to remove this & prevent it from happening again?
Do you have a electric fan to take away the condensation?

masona said:
Do you have a electric fan to take away the condensation?

Yes but it only works when you have the bathroom light on! :rolleyes:

Right you need to change the wiring to operate the fan seperate from the light. Post the question on the electric section on here to help you with the wiring or better still change the fan to a humidistat fan which come on auto when needed.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice - I should be able to call in a favour from a mate to get the wiring sorted on the fan. ;)

Would going over the grout lines with a grout pen be a start at getting the tiles to look a bit better? Before I crack on with re-painting the walls above the tiles.

Spray a mould killer or bleach to clean before using the grout pen or better still renew with the wall tiles with shower wall panel instead for trouble free maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back