mould in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just popped into attic today and found mould on the woodwork (!)

There is no obvious water ingress, there are a couple of slipped slates, but no signs of water coming in. Getting theses sorted

We had the loft insulated a couple of years ago - the eaves have been left free for ventilation (although I may pull a strip of insulation away to help?)

I was last up in summer and didn't notice the mould so it is a new-ish thing. When last up there I re-laid some insulation over a small part of the loft that had been folded back when we had a section of the attic boarded. I threw some rubbish away so cleared some space and folded the insulation back over - maybe 4m2?

IN addition - new baby in the house so heating has been on 20 degrees constant over winter. Question is - could me folding the insulation back and the heating being on a lot cause the condensation/mould?

Going to ask roofer to fit a couple of vents to aid ventilation anyway - but every time I go up there it feels draughty and cold (old house)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Look for the sources of excessive water vapour. Most likely wet washing draped around the house and hung over radiators. Buy a washing line and a tumble drier.

Could also be due to holes in the bathroom ceiling or extractor fan not used. Open the upstairs windows every day. Babies are hardier than you think.

Got a sparky coming next week to fit a bathroom extractor. Try and open bathroom window when showering but gets closed soon after to avoid tempting burglars! Others don't get opened. Would the things you said make an impact in loft then? Have a condenser tumble drier. Not much washing if any on radiators. Don't vent though. Could that be it?
Thanks for your reply

The condensation is happening because there is too much water vapour in the loft. Increasing loft ventilation will help it get out, but you also need to stop it getting in.

Water vapour is lighter than air so will rise. Bathroom extractor will help. Open windows will help. Look for holes in ceilings or gaps round hatch. Look at any water tanks in loft, check they are cold and have tight fitting plastic lids.

Please also see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160032

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely mould? A cold and draughty roof is unlikely to have mould.

1. i'd go along with the notion that it's mould - variable conditions yes, but perhaps just enough of the right conditions for mould to grow.
The rafter in pic 1 appears to be very dark - is this due to damp?

2. A Condenser dryer discharges tremendous amounts of vapour. Do you have an extractor in the kitchen? FWIW: a powerful six inch diameter extractor works best in a bathroom or kitchen.

3. Perhaps try the suggestions of others before cutting any vents in the roof. Your lack of roofing felt will allow massive air changes.
And IMO it will also help cause the condensing effect. Warm, moisture laden vapour hitting the, sometimes, ice-cold slate.

There is an extractor fan for the cooker. The tumble drier is in the pantry with the door open. There is a double brick air vent that blows a force 10 through. So figured we'd be ok? Just looking for an extractor for the bathroom. They are pretty standard aren't they?

Don't think the beam is damp just dusty/dirt? Will have another check. Hot a roofer coming to look at some slipped tiles and done flashing that has turned up in the garden.

Sparky gonna do extractor. All windows in house are open upstairs now when we are in. Air vents opened on downstairs ones And heating turned down during day.

with the windows open, it should be gone in no time. But do have a look at those tanks and any signs of roof or plumbing leaks.

No tanks up there. Roofer booked. Will the mould just disappear or will I need to get up there with a ladder and clean it off? Tricky as only part boarded and central area is quite high.

Wait and observe results. In time perhaps, in a well lit loft, use steps ( not a ladder ) on a firm deck with someone holding them - dont work alone.

No cavit y wall. Old turn of century terrace. Two bricks with a bit of a gap!

Unusual to see a slated roof without felt or torching, does it effect the whole roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back