mould on sealant in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - the sealnt in the shower cubicle tray where it meets the wall tiles is becoming black with mould, i can take off certain amount by scrubbibg it but reappears after a short time. The sealant i used cost £10 from screwfix a few years ago and was supposed to be anti mould proof with 20 years gaurantee..yeah right !...anyway whats the best way to get rid of this or keep it from reappearing....seems to be appearing more at the point where the two tiles meet at the shower tray. bathroom has extractor fan, well ventilated and cleaned after more or less each shower

Sponsored Links
I use neat bleach and a tooth brush (the wife's brush seems the best) :LOL:
I let it soak for a while then a light scrub, this is not a professional tip just what I do
Baza

Cleaning as suggested by zedhead will help but it’s likely to return & you can get proprietary cleaners; wiping it dry after each shower as well but what a total PITA that is :rolleyes: . Mould comes from spores & once you’ve got them they can be very difficult to get rid of, they just love tiny little gaps & is why the black stuff nearly always returns. Cutting the silicone out (assuming that’s what was used) & completely replacing will do it but you have to make sure you get it all out or it’ll just reappear again; & even after you’ve done all that, it’s likely to reappear some time in the future anyway! :cry:

The main reason for the mould appearing is because of soap, shampoo and conditioners being used, getting onto tiles and running down onto silicon, try scrubbing the mould off then rinsing thoroughly after use of shower, you mostly find this around the bath caused by the same thing

Sponsored Links
The main reason for the mould appearing is because of soap, shampoo and conditioners being used, getting onto tiles and running down onto silicon, try scrubbing the mould off then rinsing thoroughly after use of shower, you mostly find this around the bath caused by the same thing

the biggest problem is cheap silicon.. has nothing to do with your cosmetics.. just a cheap silicon

the biggest problem is cheap silicon.. has nothing to do with your cosmetics.. just a cheap silicon

£10 a tube AINT cheap silicon, the Main problem is exactly what i stated, so dont go saying " NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR COSMETICS" thats BULL, stick to plumbing problems mate

Basically, the issue is mould likes growing in Silicon, or Acrilic, and infact more sealants. And nobody is brave enough to just seal it all in black!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back