Mould on wet bricks below DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

All around my house the bricks below the damp proof course look wet and some areas has quite alot of green mould on them. its weird because the bricks above the DPC are more or less clean and dry.

Does this mean my DPC is ok (its slate)? the surveyor thought the slate was crumbling.

Also

Why are the bricks getting wet and mouldy, is it groundwater coming up, is this normal?

Last summer I did remove paving slabs all around the house as they were laid above the DPC, Im hoping the wetness and mould are a sign the bricks are drying out?

All comments welcomed, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
is there a gutter union leaking/dripping above the green area?

do the slabs fall toward the property or is there signs of ponding against the property?

any chance of a photo?

Does this mean my DPC is ok

Why are the bricks getting wet and mouldy, is it groundwater coming up, is this normal?

Yes thats how a dpc works. If it was not there, the moisture would carry on up - although some people on here would rather have their eyes gouged out with a spoon rather than admit that damp rises.

Sponsored Links
the brickwork in the photo (below dpc) looks saturated? :eek:

does it ever dry out, particularly after long dry spells?

Ive only been in the property since last July, all the bricks were covered with patio slabs. I havent seen the bricks dry since I uncovered them in August :(

This summer I intend to repoint areas, kill mould with fungicide killer and paint first few courses with either masonry paint or bitumen, is this a good idea or am I asking for more trouble?

Cheers

If those bricks are going to be persistently damp, then if you paint them, it will flake off in no time

Its quite common.

It may be really porous bricks, or the ground is saturated and/or has poor drainage.

Either way its not a problem as the DPC seems to be performing well.

The only problem you may have is that even if you rake the joints out well (25mm) and use a PVA additive for extra grip, it may be that the pointing will be gradually dislodged due to successive frost action over several winters.

If its a high water table problem, then its not worth dealing with. If the ground is running back to the house, then altering the surface drainage or adding a means of collecting it at the house via a land drain or gully may be worth considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back