Mould / ventilation / insulation - do you agree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I've done some reading on this issue but would really appreciate your thoughts…

I'm refitting the kitchen in my recently-bought 1940s council flat. One base corner unit smells very musty - it's at the point where two external walls meet. I ripped the cupboard back out (which is discoloured) and the walls behind are covered in black mould marks, which extend about 2m in both directions from the corner. There is also black mould in the grouting on the tiles between worktop and windows on these walls.

The walls behind the base units are actually dry now, as far as I've been able to feel. (But do realise it is summer, I've had windows open and the kitchen has had zero use for the last 6 months). But I'm worried about mould coming back once I've put the new kitchen in -- I want to make sure it's dealt with thoroughly now.

My questions:

1. Am I right in concluding this was probably caused by condensation - or are there other checks required for a firm diagnosis? Is it worth me buying a gauge to measure the moisture content of the wall?

2. I plan to scrub the walls with anti-mould cleaner and then paint using emulsion with anti-mould additive - is that likely to solve it? How long do I need to let the walls dry out before fitting new units? Any recommended brands of paint/additives?

3. The existing units have a service void behind but the new units will be from Ikea and fit right to the wall with no void. Should this be a concern regarding ventilation where it's an external wall? I've heard about some product you can layer onto the inside of external walls before you decorate - sounds like they might be a bit like rigid bubble wrap - to insulate and reduce condensation. Anyone got any views on these and if they would help me here?

4. To combat moisture in the flat generally, I've installed a bathroom extractor fan and I'll be getting a hood extractor for the kitchen. The kitchen area is 2.3 x 2.8 by 2.4m high. So total volume ~15.5 m3. The fan I'm looking at extracts 560 m3/hr via external duct. Does that sound ok? Is there anything else I should think about doing now, while I'm decorating the place anyway?

Other info in case it's relevant: It's an average-sized one bed flat, on the top floor of two, with external walls on 3 sides. There is a flat roof and a metal girder running round behind the plaster just under ceiling level, which I understand from local residents gets extremely wet from condensation in the winter. The kitchen has a wide archway instead of a door, so no way of sealing it from rest of flat while cooking unfortunately. The previous owners had painted the place ready for sale so tricky to tell if mould was a problem in other areas of the flat. I found a dehumidifier left by them too. As you can imagine, I'm trying to do everything I can to get the place set up right while it's covered in dust anyway!

Thanks for reading and I'd really welcome any thoughts at all.

Sponsored Links
. Am I right in concluding this was probably caused by condensation

Highly likely.

The existing units have a service void behind but the new units will be from Ikea and fit right to the wall with no void. Should this be a concern regarding ventilation where it's an external wall?

This is a problem. Cupboards against external walls breed mould if there is insufficient ventilation and the wall is not well insulated.

I've heard about some product you can layer onto the inside of external walls before you decorate - sounds like they might be a bit like rigid bubble wrap - to insulate and reduce condensation. Anyone got any views on these and if they would help me here?

If you can prevent moist warm air hitting a cold surface, that guarantees no condensation. How you do it depends on how much space/disruption you can afford to lose/take.
The fan I'm looking at extracts 560 m3/hr via external duct. Does that sound ok

Right kind of area.

You seem to be aware of what's needed but just to add the standard :

1) Don't dry clothes inside.
w) Keep the bathroom door closed until the fan ( what capacity ? )has cleared the moist air from bath/shower.

I've installed a bathroom extractor fan and I'll be getting a hood extractor for the kitchen. The kitchen area is 2.3 x 2.8 by 2.4m high. So total volume ~15.5 m3. The fan I'm looking at extracts 560 m3/hr via external duct. Does that sound ok? Is there anything else I should think about doing now
Extractors are good - however to work properly, there must be somewhere for air to enter the building, which in small properties with double glazing etc. isn't always the case. You may need to put one or more vents in to allow air to enter.

Thanks very much for the replies.

@mointainwalker

Re sufficient ventilation when putting the cupboards against wall: I can probably afford to set the Ikea units about 2cm away from the wall. Do you think that is still too risky in this case?

You said "If you can prevent moist warm air hitting a cold surface, that guarantees no condensation. How you do it depends on how much space/disruption you can afford to lose/take."

So as I see it, my options are to install extractor fans, don't leave wet washing hanging etc - basically keep the air in the flat as dry as I can. But what are my options for treating the wall itself - would a layer of polystyrene or similar on the wall help? I can take all the disruption required now as I'm ripping the whole thing out - would rather be safe than sorry so I'm keen to do all I can now basically!

My bathroom fan is 185m3/hr with a delay timer and I'm very vigilant about keeping the door closed until the moisure has cleared.

Sponsored Links
Extractors are good - however to work properly, there must be somewhere for air to enter the building, which in small properties with double glazing etc. isn't always the case. You may need to put one or more vents in to allow air to enter.

Thanks flameport - there is one vent in the lounge, it's not on an external wall and it's about 25cm x 20cm. Is there an easy way to tell if it is actually doing any venting and is not blocked?

Would it be a good idea to include a vent in the kitchen on an external wall - and do you mean just a grill with no mechanical extraction? Do they not let cold air in? Sorry if these are daft questions...!

there is one vent in the lounge, it's not on an external wall and it's about 25cm x 20cm. Is there an easy way to tell if it is actually doing any venting and is not blocked?
Unless you can feel air coming out of it, not really. If not on an external wall, could it be an old chimney or gas fire flue?

Would it be a good idea to include a vent in the kitchen on an external wall - and do you mean just a grill with no mechanical extraction? Do they not let cold air in? Sorry if these are daft questions...!
Possibly - the point it that if you get an extractor to remove air from the building, air has to then enter the room from somewhere else. Could be another vent in the same room, or another room.
They are just a hole in the wall with a grille over it, and yes they will let cold air in - that is the whole point.

Your bathroom extractor for example is supposed to remove 185m3 per hour - but to do this, 185m3 of fresh air has to enter the room from somewhere else.
Typically this is achieved by having a small gap under the bathroom door - however this only works if there is suitable ventilation elsewhere in the building. Often there is - but if all the windows and doors are sealed and there is nowhere else for fresh air to enter the building, extractors won't work properly.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unless you can feel air coming out of it, not really. If not on an external wall, could it be an old chimney or gas fire flue?
It's very near a door on a thin internal wall (bedroom to lounge) that wouldn't have had a chimney on it so instinctively doesn't seem like either of those things.
I can't feel air flow in front of it. I might do a candle test - just thought of that, will get onto it later!

...if all the windows and doors are sealed and there is nowhere else for fresh air to enter the building, extractors won't work properly.
Yes that makes sense.
Well I've got small vent holes on the windows, which I'm going to leave open all the time. Will be getting a new front doorm which I'm hoping to get a more substatial vent in. Also I generally have at least one window open in the flat somewhere. There's also a window in the bathroom which I could open whilst having a shower. So I think I should have it covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back