(mouldy)cellulose paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I worked with some decorators who papered a room using cellulose paste, its only been 5 weeks and the paper has gone mouldy underneath. I know they sealed the walls using zinzer shelac based stain block, has anyone got any ideas why this has happened? I have now stripped walls and wiped with bleach and painted on zinzer perma white mould block 2 coats and was going to use a ready mixed paste to re paper hoping that this will do the trick. If anyone has any experience of this i would like to know more.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could possibly be down to the paste taking too long to dry..it can also crystalise

Are the worse walls the exterior ones?..

I would use the ready mixed paster but also..line the walls first.

no not really internal walls just as bad. ive put 2 coats of perma white and that seemed to give it a really good base to start papering. I wondered if it was because cellulose paste hasn't got a fungal protection.

Dont like cellelouse paste... Horrible. stick with Solvite paste or ready mixed.

Sponsored Links
I have equal success with both pastes. The ready mixed is a lot stronger on papers that have edges that want to curl. A lot of manufacturers specify the cellulose paste just to sell more products. Its awful. It will do no harm to use the others mentioned.

I take it when you say cellulose paste you mean the real deal..the stuff that is actually branded cellulose?

Cellulose paste doesnt contain a fungicide..mainly because theres nothing in it to go mouldy..unlike starch either pastes (wheich do contain a fungicide for that reason)

Not to confused with LAP...which is a basic starch paste and a ot of people often confuse the two (LAP now contains a fungicide though)

Was it a vinyl?..

yes it was definately cellulose and the paper was vinyl, so the fungicide is there because of the ingredients of the paste?

What was the reason the decorators sealed the walls using zinsser shelac based stain block. ?
What are the stains?

yes it was definately cellulose and the paper was vinyl, so the fungicide is there because of the ingredients of the paste?

Id say it definatly contributed to it yes..if it had been a non fungicidal starch paste it would have been really bad though.

the house had a leak and flooded down stairs. some of the plaster was hacked off but not all, think they tried to seal old plaster with zinzer shelac base, not really a good idea as it is only a stain block. i wonder if i have done the right thing now re-sealing with perma white mould block? it does seem to have given the walls a really solid base though!

The pema white is lovely stuff.. But!! you need to get rid of the mould first.
Did the original blokes use a fungicide, or the traditional bleach. The bin shellack wont hold back the mould. The perma white resists mildew on the surface paint film not the underneath.
The flooding > was all plaster dry before decorating? Damp meter :!:

TBH I didnt know they still did cellulose :oops:

the house had a leak and flooded down stairs. some of the plaster was hacked off but not all, think they tried to seal old plaster with zinzer shelac base, not really a good idea as it is only a stain block. i wonder if i have done the right thing now re-sealing with perma white mould block? it does seem to have given the walls a really solid base though!

Good questions from confident.

What happened to cause the leak? Where did this water come from that flooded down the stairs?

To be honest when i stripped the paper most of the zinzer had broken down so i rubbed walls, then i wiped with a watered down bleach solution. The flood i think was from in the loft, i'm pretty sure it was given a drying certificate. There was another decorator there yesterday 30+ years experience said he would of just painted the walls with emulsion, where the stains come through he would just put undercoat on and then he would of papered using a normal solvite he never uses ready mixed. I stuck to my guns tho and still carried on with perma white.

You only ever get mould where there is damp. No mould in the desert. Mould can't grow where it's dry. What you should have done is simply paint contract emulsion on and leave for a few months until the bricks have dried out. Putting vinyl paper on is the worst thing you could have done as it traps the damp in. You'll never sort it until the walls are dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back