Mouldy sealant round bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After trying everything I can think of I cannot shift the black mould on the sealant around the bath.

Any tips to remove it?
Also any tips to keep the red mould at bay from the tile grout?

Sponsored Links
Bleach will reduce it but you can never completely get rid of it,best thing to do is remove it and reseal it.

Grout will clean up with bleach too.

Try to keep well ventilated and wipe down the edges when finished in the bath/shower.

Blanch - 2 methods for removal:

with a snap-off craft knife with the blade extended cut flat to the wall & flat to the bath rim (take care not to scratch the bath) then peel the silicone away

or

use silicone remover - it's in spray form - make the job easy

How to prevent it happening again: use a good quality sanitary silicone and rinse/wipe off the sealant at the end of each bath session. Red staining can often be caused by pigments in shampoo and other juices used at bath/shower time ... so rinse them away.

use silicone remover - it's in spray form - make the job easy
Have you ever used it? It doesn't work as you say. You can use it if you remove the majority of the silicone and use it to remove the small bits that are left, but it won't work by just applying it and waiting for it to lift/soften the silicone bead.

Sponsored Links
If you say so. ;) :LOL:
Personally, I don't think there's any need for the stuff - any small amounts remaining can either be rubbed away or removed with a sharp wood chisel.

Always dry the tiles and silicone areas with a towel. I do with my bathroom and after 9 years it is still as white as the first day. I also tell my customers this but some moan after a few years about the colour of the areas and I know they have not done as I surgest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back