Mount a 100mm x 6ft post to masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a post that needs to be screwed to the wall of a outbuilding (single brick build) and this will then have a 60cm fence connecting to the next fence post in line. The next fence post if buried into the ground and concrete as expected.

With this first post, can I please have some recommendation on the type of fixing I should use and how deep this should go into the brick work.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The outer building belongs to my neighbours and I would prefer a method that doesn’t require any intrusion on the inside. I think your method suggests a washer and nut on the inside of the brick as well as the post.
I have requested permission for drilling into their wall. They have consented to that.

Sponsored Links
It’s an end of run panel. Around 60cm wide.
What size Hammer fixings do you recommend in this situation?

UPDATE: I used hammer fixings for this and had mixed success. Firstly input the post against the wall, levelled it up and then marked where I could mount directly into a brick and not the mortar join. I then took the post away and drilled the hole. I also countersunk it slightly using a spade bit.

I then took it back to the wall and attempted to hammer home the hammer fixings. On two occasions, the screw disappeared into the rawlplug whilst being hammered and hence didn’t leave me anything to screw. With the other two, this didn’t happen and the screw was sticking out a couple of inches which allowed me to drive this in for a good fix.

In hindsight, may be I should have used coach screws with rawl plugs...

Interested in your thoughts and possible explanation for what happened with the problematic fixings.

Hole in wood and wall wasn't inline, you need to drill through the wood and into the wall .
I make sure the plug goes in full depth before driving the screw or the latter expands the plug too soon

Would you have pushed the plug through the wood and the wall before inserting and driving the screw in?

In the past i have used threaded bars which a resin fixed in the holes
One on my last house brick wall to support a side gate post 3x3
And last year on our bungalow on a block wall to support a 4x4 inch post - OFF the ground for a gate

I think I used 12mm threaded bar, drilled a 14mm hole in post and aligned to wall - then resin
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...VYIBQBh0HXgEMEAQYAiABEgLysfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
the bars into the wall
slight counter sink on the post to fit the washer and nut - so did not pretruid
This gate is used maybe 6 times a year to get to the side of the house of maintenance
But the old house gate was used pretty much every day and solid for about 5years before we moved out

Would you have pushed the plug through the wood and the wall before inserting and driving the screw in?

If you align the wood, and then get someone to hold it in position for you, you can drill through the wood and 'spot mark' the wall exactly.
Remove the wood out of the way, drill and plug the wall. Then reposition the wood and the holes should line up correctly. When you start running the screws in through the wood don't run them in tight, just make sure they are into the plug. This will allow you to move the wood slightly to align each hole as you put the screws in. Once all screws are in position you can then give them all a final tightening.

presumably you wouldn't use the plugs that come with the Hammer Fixings with the above as they are too long?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back