Mount to mount a TV mount on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a TV mount which I want to mount on the wall, but I want it slightly further from the wall so it goes into the room a little bit more, so I want to put some wood on the wall and attach the mount to it.

The screws to hold the mount need to go 55mm deep, so the wood needs to be at least that thick.

There are two sets of holes on the mount. 13cm from each other and 2cm apart.

Here are some images of it on its side.

I was thinking two pieces of stud attached to the wall horizontally, one for the top row one for the bottom, with one screw on each end.

I was thinking of some wood like this.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/studwork-timber-38x63mmx24m/invt/107177/
http://www.wickes.co.uk/kiln-dried-sawn-softwood-47x75mmx24m/invt/107115/?tapopen=cm

Problem is how to attach them to my brick wall. The only screws I could see which may work (due to length needed) though are these. http://www.wickes.co.uk/frame-screw-75x92mm-ctsk-head-who-75092/invt/215084/

I have never used frame fittings before so am unsure exactly how good they are.

The mount thing is designed to go on either a solid wall or a stud, so as long as the stud is attached to the brick ok it will hold.

Does this sound like it would work or should I do it another way?

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go for a purpose built tilt and swing bracket (Toolstation 93962 is an example)......but if you want to go your way, consider fixing timber to the wall first, and then the existing bracket to that.
The bracket itself could hide the timber securing screws too.
John :)

Just buy a mount designed for the job, mine was £15 from Argos up to 42" screen.

consider fixing timber to the wall first, and then the existing bracket to that.
The bracket itself could hide the timber securing screws too.
Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I want to do - but was wondering what the best way to attach to wood to the wall is. Screws, angle brackets or those "basket things" to hold joists.

I in fact need to mount two speakers in the corner of the room. One will be mounted on the chimney breast and the other in the corner. The one in corner is an articulating one as it needs further from the wall then the one on the breast. The reach of the arm is a little bit too short. I have had adaptors made by the firm to fit the speakers and they have confirmed my weight of speakers will be OK. I just need to "push" the mount further into the room.

I feel a bit silly asking how to attach wood to wall but thought it better to look silly than miss a good idea.

Thanks again,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Hello Ian
You say that the fixings will be into brick or studs......if its brick, use a 6 or 8mm diameter plastic wall plug, with 4 or 4.5mm screws of a length that will pass through your timber plus the length of the plug.
If you go into studs, then shorter screws will be needed.
If you're not sure, drill a small hole (2.5 - 3mm which is easily filled) and see what you hit.
If you hit fresh air, use a hollow wall anchor (Toolstation 34664 or similar) and the secret, as per all wall fixings is to use the recommended drill size.
You must have a hammer drill to drill into masonry, plus the correct tipped masonry bit, of course.

...and if your drill hits a mains cable buried in the wall, you may find youself slumped against the opposite wall of the room! :(

Well worth searching for top tips on how to avoid this risk.

...and if your drill hits a mains cable buried in the wall, you may find youself slumped against the opposite wall of the room! :(

Well worth searching for top tips on how to avoid this risk.
Yes - don't want to do that. I use a stud and mains detector when drilling to avoid that happening.

Basically my issue is what to use to attach say 3*2 or 4*2 to the brick wall, the fitting needs to be thick enough to go through the wood and then say 60mm into the wall

To me, this http://www.wickes.co.uk/fixing-set-7x140mm-pk4/invt/510009/ looks like it would be long enough and strong enough to hold some 3*2 to the wall. (drill into the 3" bit)

In the end I bought a piece of wood 7 * 41 * 16 cm to use as a mount. This is attached to the wall using 120mm frame fixings.

It it has been in place for a few weeks now and works very well.

I bought it from Catford Timber http://catfordtimber.co.uk/

They were very helpful and supplied the wood and the fixings.

I have since bought from them some 2cm * 4.5cm wood and 3mm whiteboard MDF to make a false wall to hide the wires, again which works very well.

I would highly recommend them if you are in the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back