Mounting a flatscreen into a recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat screen tv and would like to mount this onto a shallow chimney breast (appox 5 inches in depth) Im thinking of creating a recess as the other chimney breast in the rear room is 9".
I not sur ethe best way to do this. I presume fixing a wooden frame into the breast then plasterboard it? Would I be able to use long screws and drill straight through the wood and into the plaster/brick?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Be sure to arrange it so that there are adequate vents to allow cool air to rise behind and exit above. TVs emit heat and hot air rises. You can't make it go sideways without using a fan, which would be an additional complication.

As regards hacking into the chimney breast (if that's what you mean) you should consult a structural engineer.

if you are just battening out the front of the breast and boarding it that should be fine, chasing out a hole in the breast will require lintels etc. Be sure to leave adequate ventilation for the TV. Could put some louvre vents in the the recess at the top and bottom perhaps. and leave a route for it to escape behind the cavityy of the new wall. It should be fine if the TV is secured to the brickwork of the breast.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou, no I don't intend on hacking into the breast at all. Hopefully it wont intrude into the room too much this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back