Mounting consumer unit on single brick external wall? (Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are their any Reg's that say I cant have my consumer unit moved inside a stud wall?

Its part of a Garage conversion, so it would be mounted on the single brick external wall - Would it need to be in an IP65 box?

The plan is to have an access panel to it inside the stud wall I'm constructing.

25yuizb.jpg

34es1f4.jpg

Sponsored Links
So it will be on the inside of that wall - not out in the rain???

Why not install a flush consumer unit in that stud. If you just want it not to show then there is no problem assuming the wall doesn't get wet and
the consumer unit and all of it's connections must be accessible.

There no regs that state you cant have a consumer unit inside a stud wall, however as stated, the consumer unit need to accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing.

So you will need to enable access somehow.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies ...

Having spoken to a few electricans and found the whole house electrics must be tested - Every socket and switch removed to comply with part 17 and get a sign off with moving the unit.
Seems likely to open up a huge bag of worms?

I'm thinking its not wirth the hassle moving the box and will surface mount the existing one and box it in with an access panel.

What are you going to do with the gas pipes?
Also your incoming gas supply is non compliant because it is under the structure. And if that yellow pipe is plastic it is non compliant and highly dangerous.

The yellow pipe is steel - The meter was moved by National Grid a few weeks ago. I was told that if I box it in I must have a vent in the external wall in case of leaks. Although I dont see why when their are other boxed in gas pipes under floors to cookers etc.

Every socket and switch removed to comply with part 17 and get a sign off with moving the unit.

This is a quotation from BS7671:2008 which covers your situation.

"Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect.
This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading."

This is a standard clause that means that if the existing installation is safe and complies with earlier regs it does not need upgrading.

Looking at the photos you are pretty much doing the same as this thread
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260583

Unfortunately the local building inspector is already involed -

The garage conversion was done 30+ yrs ago long before I bought the house, and has never had building regs.

I have been trying to get 'regularisation' by insulating the floors and walls and fireboarding the walls.

This wall is the final approavl, and the inspector wants pics of the various stages. So he will see the meter has been moved and ask for Part 17 paperwork.

the tails are long enough .... but all the wires feeding out the top need extending to recess in the wall.

If the connections to the consumer unit aren't touched does it still require Part 17 sign off and testing off all the house circuits?

ie. To cut and extended the outgoing wires?

If you would like to enlighten us as to what this part 17 is, then we might be half way to being able to answer the question

If the connections to the consumer unit aren't touched does it still require Part 17 sign off and testing off all the house circuits?

ie. To cut and extended the outgoing wires?

Right understand Part P of the Building Regs.

Since Local Authority Building Control are involved it might be best to seek their views on this - as they are the ones who will issue the building notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back