Consumer Unit Move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My first post on this forum, although I have been reading it with interest for quite a long time. As background, I live in a very large house with a complex electricity installation, most of which is fairly modern. I have a reasonable understanding of the 17th Edition wiring regs and Part p.

To cut a long story short, one of the CUs ideally needs to be repositioned. It is high up on a wall with all circuits wired on (short) drops from the ceiling. It (Dual RCD + Main swith) currently serves 8 final circuits, 3 of which are rings, so there are 11 final circuit cables in total. It really just needs to be repositioned 4-5 feet below it's present position.

Needless to say, the problem is that none of the existing finals cables would reach the new position, and gaining access to rewire all of them to their first point of termination would be extremely (I would say prohibitively) distruptive in terms of gaining access. The effect of lowering the CU would be to shorten the required length of MEB and meter tails, so that's not an issue.

Frankly, I would not contemplate the CU move at present if it required replacing the final runs of cables on all circuits - and would probably delay the exercise unless/until many of the carpets and floors are up for other reasons. I therefore wonder what views are on the alternative strategy of extending all of the 11 cables from their present position (near ceiling) to the new position. In as much as all the junction boxes (or whatever) would be accessible for inspecton (and might even be of assistance to testers in future!), it looks to me as if this should be OK with the regs, but I wonder what people think, and what view is likely to be taken of such an installation.

Secondly, if this extension approach were taken, I wonder what would be the most sensible and neatest way to do it. Eleven separate JBs (maybe slighly less if 6-terminal ones were used for some of the lower current circuits) would obvioulsy be a bit messy and cumbersome, although not impossible. What about suitable connector blocks in suitable enclosures? - or are there any "very many way" JBs available for this sort of situation?

I realise that what I'm suggesting is not ideal, but it would be practical - and if it were done, I'd probably arrange for the final cables to be re-done properly as/when access had been created for other reasons.

I look forward to hearing thoughts on this.

Cheers, John

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the other possibility of using a maintenance free joint such as a crimp? This need not be accessible.

Dingbat suggestion is very good, I have normally used rows of connector strips due to the availability of din rail mounted connectors though. A PVC adaptable box with ample room mounted near the ceiling and then some large capacity PVC trunking drops down to the CU would be the best solution, or you could chase the cables into the plasterwork if they all have 30mA RCD protection

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the other possibility of using a maintenance free joint such as a crimp? This need not be accessible.

Thanks for your rapid reply. Yes, I did consider maintenance-free joints, but since the joints are all necessarily going to be in an accessible place, that wasn't really an issue. I have to say that, perhaps unnecessarily, I've always been nervous about relying on crimps.

Kind Regards,
John

How about an adaptable box with a DIN rail and suitable terminals?

Like this and this

Thanks. That definitely does sound like the ideal solution. I take it from the fact that several of you have responded without saying otherwise, the practice of extending the cables for this purpose is acceptable - and probably quite comnmon?

Kind Regards, John

Quite common in places where a CU needs upgrading and there isn't physical space to replace the unit for a newer one in it's current location. As long as joins are accessable then it's fine, keeping the connections in the adaptablr box as neat as possible is a must IMO.

Yes, quite common.

One question.

You currently have a box (the consumer unit)
this box needs to be moved but you are going to replace it with another box (the terminations) in the same place.

What is the point of that?

Dingbat suggestion is very good, I have normally used rows of connector strips due to the availability of din rail mounted connectors though. A PVC adaptable box with ample room mounted near the ceiling and then some large capacity PVC trunking drops down to the CU would be the best solution, or you could chase the cables into the plasterwork if they all have 30mA RCD protection

Great suggestions. Thanks. I think I'll probably go with one or other of those ideas, depending on how easily I can find din rail mounted connectors. All of the cables are 30mA RCD protected, but I think I'll go with trunking, anyway, since it's easy and the location is not one where aesthetics matter!

One further thought, which might have an impact on the total number of 'connections' (33 in my case, if every conductor was separately connected). Do the CPCs of all the cables (11 in my case) have to be extended separately, or could they perhaps be combined at ceiling level (e.g. with an earthing bock) with a substantial G/Y cable from there to the CU? I can see an argument that this would amount to putting all the CPC eggs in one basket, but that only affects the number of circuits that might lose their CPC connection simultaneoulsy.

Kind Regards, John.

Oh you were doing so well :p Yes the CPC's should be individual or else there will be a bit of testing at the CU and a bit of testing at the adaptable box, where would you rather be doing it?

Yes, quite common.

One question.
You currently have a box (the consumer unit)
this box needs to be moved but you are going to replace it with another box (the terminations) in the same place.
What is the point of that?

"Convenience" (with, I suppose, some 'safety' implications). The room is about 10 feet high, with the CU currently near the ceiling, so getting to the CU (albeit a very rare requirement) is a serious stepladder job, probably not ideal for all members of the household (wife is unhappy even standing on a stool!)!

Kind Regards, John.

Oh you were doing so well :p Yes the CPC's should be individual or else there will be a bit of testing at the CU and a bit of testing at the adaptable box, where would you rather be doing it?

Why did I just know that you were going to say that?! Thanks again.

Kind Regards, John.

1. Building Regulations approval
  2. With all the circuits being extended, does compliance with the 17the become required?
  3. Testing
  4. EIC

1. Building Regulations approval
  2. With all the circuits being extended, does compliance with the 17the become required?
  3. Testing
  4. EIC

Thanks for the list :). What's the answer to (2) and, if it's 'yes', to what extent would the entire installation be required to comply with the 17th Ed regs?

Regards, John

The answer to (2) depends on what you're going to do about (1) & (4), because opinions vary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back