Moving Consumer unit, extending ring circuits

I assume I will have to leave some kind of removable cover on the surface, be that a door or a blanking plate, for maintenance
That's where I was going with this. I want the finished solution to be either accessible blanking plate or at least have a visual clue by way of a access door. the cables pop out of the wall to go to the CU at the moment and then chase down the corner to disappear into the (currently empty) electricity cabinet, so creating a safe zone/danger zone by using specifically a blanking plate(accessory, installation is not necessary.
Apologies - missed that.
I would love to bury the connections in the wall then plaster over the lot
I thought you wanted to make it all invisible.

I can't make the lollipop search link work
You need to copy and paste the whole thing. The morons who wrote the software used by this site couldn't see anything wrong with it generating URLs which it then found unacceptable.

See //www.diynot.com/diy/posts/3491458/

Sponsored Links
Probably more the skills to create the joint before soldering have started to disappear.

Sponsored Links
Just realised, has no one mention to the OP that this work he/she proposes is notifiable under Part P.

No it isn't.

Part P is not connected to notification requirements.

But the work is notifiable though.

Last edited:
No it isn't.

Part P is not connected to notification requirements.

But the work is notifiable though

Bad words on my part, what I meant was the types of works that are notifiable are defined under the part P Document.

You fall in to the usual trap. That is the Approved Document. The Approved Documents provide guidance on ways to meet the building regulations.
Approved documents are not legislation!

Perhaps you need the Statutory Instrument?

In any case- Page 14 appears to be the back cover….? Nothing to read….?

Last edited:
Your blanking plate must span the cables coming down the wall.

The link from TTC (ignoring the Welsh bit) is all there is - there is no more.
It's very short, simple and clear.

Why does someone or anyone think it necessary to write a book explaining it? Do they get paid?.
Anything in this book which contradicts or adds to the simple version is wrong.

I know they always do it but I wish they wouldn't.

You fall in to the usual trap. That is the Approved Document. The Approved Documents provide guidance on ways to meet the building regulations.
Approved documents are not legislation!

Perhaps you need the Statutory Instrument?

In any case- Page 14 appears to be the back cover….? Nothing to read….?

Page 14 out of 22 of the PDF file, and yes Approved Document is not legislation but then neither is BS7671 legally enforceable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back