MOUNTING HOSE STORAGE UNITS TO VERTICAL PIPE

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think this should come under Fencing. If not, please advise.

I have purchased 2 different styles of garden hose storage products. One called Gecko’s Toes, the other Hose Gator 2. Gecko’s holds up to 100 feet of 5/8ths garden hose. Hose Gator 2 holds up to 100 feet of 3/4ths garden hose. Both are designed to be screw mounted vertically to a flat surface 3 feet to 5 feet high using a shed wall, sturdy wooden fence, etc.

I want to mount these to the outside of horse pens made of salvaged oil field pipe (slang term around here is “drill pipe”). Welded together it makes for really stout livestock pens, corrals, runs, etc. The hose storage products need to be mounted near faucets. Each product mounts with 3 screws, which are not provided. Not a problem as both Lowes and Home Depot are close by.

The drill pipe was donated to a non-profit horse rescue and consists of a wide variety of o.d. and sidewall thicknesses. Some pipe is 2 5/8 ths o.d, some is 3” o.d., some goes up to 5” o.d. Sidewall thicknesses vary mostly between 1 /4” and 3 /8”. Most of the posts are the larger o.d. and 6 feet tall with about 2 feet buried in concrete. The rails are mostly 10 foot pieces of the smaller o.d. stuff with 1 /4” sidewall thicknesses.

My dilemma is how to vertically mount these garden hose storage products to vertical pipe posts. The back side (“spine”) of the Gecko is 1” wide. The length is 11”. The back side of the Hose Gator is 2.25” wide and the length is 12”. I’m concerned that mounting these products to a curved surface will ultimately result in either fastener failure or product failure when somebody grabs a hose and starts pulling the hose loops out to the side (as opposed to pulling all the hose loops free by tugging straight out). Pulling on garden hose is usually a vigorous enterprise and I’m worried the torque on the screws created by sideways pulling would be considerable.

Is there a material of some kind that could be attached vertically to the posts in a very stout way that would provide a flat surface to mount the hose storage products?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back