First fence advice on post footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building my first fence to close off the side garden of my house from the front, attached is a simple mock of the layout of the fence and posts.

I am building a hit and miss fence to allow the wind to pass through while also keeping the garden private.

The fence will be 8ft x 4" posts with 4x2" rails, 3 per panel and then the panels made up of vertical 6x1" boards 6ft high.

I have managed to dig down the recommended 2ft on all but 2 posts, in the image the post highlighted orange is only 18" and the red one is 16". I could not dig any deeper as i hit either solid rock or concrete (i did check with the water company and no pipes should be there).

I tried to drill through the rock with a 1/2" 3ft long bit in my SDS drill, it must have went in about 2ft before it had abit of give, so i assume whatever is there is around 2ft thick.

So with the back story out of the way, i need some advice on how to strengthen up the final 2 posts with shallower footings. I thought i could just make the footing maybe 2ft diameter instead of the 1ft maybe? or maybe build up ontop of the surface the difference in concrete, but that would look abit ugly.

Appreciate any advice that can be given.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• fence.png
    fence.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Don't worry assuming you are plonking cement in the hole that will bond to the existing stuff should be fine. Do treat your posts well and bring the cement slightly above the ground level around the post sloping away from the post. It is at ground level most posts rot because water lays there.(y)

Might be worth ensuring that any existing concrete is wetted well, it will help the new concrete bond
You could bring the concrete up above ground and onto the post, smoothing it to encourage water to fall off?
Bearing in mind that the fence panels might be in the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back