Fixing 4x2 posts to existing fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many, out fence became very wobbly in the storms. I need to repair it. I would love to replace it but can't afford to. It's a basic wooden post fence with cheap panels.
The post in-between 2 panels wobbles, I need to dig down and see how it is fixed in the ground and how deep.(it was here when moved in) . Assuming it is 2ft, and in concrete I wouldn't want to try to dig it out , I saw a interesting YouTube vid of a guy that repaired his (better quality) fence by fixing new posts beside the existing.. could I do the same but with 4x2 planks instead of 4x4? 4x2 wouldnt stand so proud of the fence.

Sponsored Links
Dig a couple of feet down and bolt new post to existing, back fill with postcrete

Blup

Break out the old concrete (Wickes sell a very good chisel point breaker), dig down couple of feet and bolt concrete spur to existing post, backfill with postcrete or similar. There is no alternative to a bit of hard graft for a lasting repair

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Break out the old concrete (Wickes sell a very good chisel point breaker), dig down couple of feet and bolt concrete spur to existing post, backfill with postcrete or similar. There is no alternate to a bit of hard graft for a lasting repair

Blup
quite right

a concrete spur will not rot.

People (like me) who have dug out rotted wooden posts often vow never to use them again.

you can saw off the old post above the rot, so it no longer touches the ground and will not get splashed in heavy rain

BTW I have had to replace the 8mm BZP studding I originally used, after it rusted and some broke. I use stainless now. The spurs and posts have outlasted the metal.

My spurs I painted with dark brown masonry paint to blend in with the timber stain on posts and fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back