Mounting LCD TV on Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but it is electrical!!!

We want to mount our LCD on the chimney breast but don't want any unsightly wires dangling down to the plug. How do people go about running the wire down the inside of the chimney and then out by the socket? Is it possible to hard wire the telly in? Also, what about things like SKY cables etc?

Could anyone give me some ideas as to what they have done.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to buy a long HDMI* lead and power lead and chase them into the plaster, run them a few inches apart in seperate sheathings to avoid interference.

*Or whatever your using for signals, most will run everything into the amp then 1 HDMI from the amp.

may also want to drop in a speaker cable if you're planning to use 5.1 satellites to fix vocals to the telly. This can be run with the HDMI.

Thanks Hairy Bean. I wanted to avoid chasing in as we've just had the extension built and plastered (I know I should have thought of this earlier!! This is why I thought of having the power/HD leads running inside the chimney then bringing them out somewhere and plugging/bunging the whole!?

Can you buy longer power leads for Samsung TV's??

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Before you do this make sure the television will be at a comfotable height/viewing angle. The only reason I metion this is I put one up in my childrens playroom at what would be a similar height and ended up lowering it as everyone developed neck ache!!!

Cheers Jeremy, great point. I've not done too much research yet (I have a whole house to finish before I shop for telly's) but I think you can get the arm brackets that pull out from the wall and also tilt....that's my plan anyway!!

Try the AV froums for some ideas they have a members home cinema gallery that will provide some good solutions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back