Mounting TV on single brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

As the title really. I live in a 1930s house and the internal walls seem to be made from brick... judging from the thickness of them they're a single brick thick (anyone who knows better can of course disabuse me of this idea).

Is it okay to mount a TV on such a wall? I'm not so much worried about the wall falling down (although that would be a pain)... more about the TV anchoring as usually the screws that come with mounts are very long, possibly too long for the width of our walls.

Sponsored Links
It will be fine. You might need shorter screws, but with a suitable plug and screw it will be solid.
You could hang a small car off a 1930s wall with the right bracket.

Is it okay to mount a TV on such a wall? I'm not so much worried about the wall falling down (although that would be a pain)... more about the TV anchoring as usually the screws that come with mounts are very long, possibly too long for the width of our walls.

If the screws really are longer than the wall is thick, it might suggest the wall isn't really brick. Thinner than brick is cinder block, which can be too weak and delicate to mount a heavy TV on, especially if it is on a cantilevered bracket which will massively increase the leverage on the fixings.

If in doubt - drill all the way through, use nuts, bolts and washers, counter sinking under the plaster at the back of the wall.

Bricks are 4" wide.
Modern TVs are incredibly light and put hardly any stress on a wall fixing if mounted flat.
Adding an arm/tilting bracket will increase some leverage.

I hang TVs for temporary use that can be months onto 12/18mm ply /mdf and nothing's fallen off yet.
The hardest part is short chunky screws.

A 2/3" coach screw into a brick wall will hold up the world.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, everyone! 4" looks about right for the wall width.

It sounds like I can go for slightly shorter screws and it'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back