Mouse proof downspout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any guards you can get to put on a downspout to stop mice getting up.. I believe they ay be getting up my neighbours then onto the roof then in through my gable. Her downspout is round cast.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very unlikely, but if you're sure, you could use mesh, or put a hood over it and the gulley to prevent access, then you don't get blockages due to mesh.
I'd be blocking the home in your gable, even if it's for ventilation you should have a grid on to prevent access.

diycooper, good evening.

Where are the Mice appearing?

Is the problem within the upper floors, or loft area?

Ken

You'll need a damn small mesh. Mice have the ability to dislocate just about every bone in they body, and get through pretty much anything.

Sponsored Links
diycooper, good evening.

Where are the Mice appearing?

Is the problem within the upper floors, or loft area?

Mice have been seen on bottom floor. However rare. First floor one was dead behind bath panel tonight.
They are mainly heard in loft ofva night. I blocked the 22 mm pipe feeds leading from loft to bathroom today with wire wool and silicone..

I have sealed wall where sofit meets it. All vents are sealed.

Last edited:
You'll need a damn small mesh. Mice have the ability to dislocate just about every bone in they body, and get through pretty much anything.
Just ordered 0.3mm mesh. Thinking of cutting then cable tying around bottom of down spout. I have read they can climb up downspouts.

I've seen one shoot up an alarm cable; they've got special claws and pads on their feet. They might just eat through the cable ties though.

I've seen one shoot up an alarm cable; they've got special claws and pads on their feet. They might just eat through the cable ties though.
Yes possibly. Maybe strip some copper out of a some 1mm cable and tie with that.

If you put fine mesh over the top or bottom of the downpipe then it will block with the smallest amount of debris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back