Movable header tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to use vertical radiators upstairs, but our header tank is in a cupboard on the same floor as we have a flat roof... water level lower than the top of the radiator I want to use :(

There's enough headroom to raise it up (by the same amount as the difference between the old rad-top and the new one), but if I do that it'll be almost at the ceiling, still in a cupboard, and a bitch to get at.

I was wondering about using flexible pipes for the four connections I'll need: cold inlet, feed outlet, overflow and expansion. I would probably need to actually mount the expansion pipe on the lid so it would stay in place as I lifted the whole lot up, prior to filling. Yuk.

Any suggestions, other ideas or words of warning?

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
seal the system?
replace the F&E tank with an expansion vessel, the only extra pipe you'll need is a pressure relief to go to outside.

you wont need to pressurise the system too much if you're worried about leaks, about 0.5 bar would be enough

It's an Ideal Classic NF Fanned Flue NF260.

Can I really pressurise it without any major changes?

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
It's an Ideal Classic NF Fanned Flue NF260.

Can I really pressurise it without any major changes?

Thanks,
Phil

yup!
easily done really, you'll have every pipe there that you need, assuming you have an existing overflow that goes to outside you will be able to use the plastic pipe as a sleeve through the wall saving you the bother of drilling a new hole!
but if you're unsure how to pipe it up you should get someone in to do it, as messing it up will cause you grief!

SS-Kits-Trade.png

the end of the filling loop goes onto the cold main, the connection to the right of the gauge goes onto the cold feed, and theres another connection behind the gauge that is the pressure relief (goes to outside and is turned back to the wall)
make sure the existing cold feed has a clear route all the way back to the boiler, it'll probably go into the pipework behind the pump, then this pipe will go straight back to the boiler.
cap the open vent, job done!
but like i say, if you're not 100% on it get a pro in, shouldn't cost much

Excellent! Thanks, that seems like the way to go.
Presumably the expansion vessel can go where inlet to the CH system was, and I use some sort of pressure valve from the supply to get the right pressure. Would I put the pressure relief on the fat 22m expansion pipe?

OK maybe not that simple but I can Google :)

Thanks,
Phil

Excellent! Thanks, that seems like the way to go.
Presumably the expansion vessel can go where inlet to the CH system was, and I use some sort of pressure valve from the supply to get the right pressure. Would I put the pressure relief on the fat 22m expansion pipe?

OK maybe not that simple but I can Google :)

Thanks,
Phil

not quite! o_O
not to be disrespectful, but your lack of understanding suggests that you should get a pro in (y)

I dunno, I thought you explained it perfectly... I just already posted my wild guess before I saw your more detailed response

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back