Move a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I appreciate there are lots of variables to a question like this, however on average what would be cheaper, Option A or Option B? Note this would be contractors i.e. I wouldn't be doing any of the job myself.

Situation
Current garage (concrete sections sitting on concrete slab with concrete asbestos roofing, basic up over metal door, built mid 80s) could do with being approx 2' / 60cm wider. However a wider garage would need to be sited approx. 6' further back to maintain gap between garage and house for access to rear garden.

Option A
1. Dismantle and remove existing garage from site.
2. Retain existing concrete base (reasonable to do this?) however extend to rear and side to accommodate wider garage located 6' back from current location.
3. New garage bought and erected, perhaps something like Hanson Knight Royal Pent Roof.

Option B
1. Dismantle and retain existing garage sections. Dispose of roof, rear window and side access door.
2. As per no. 2 above.
3. Buy 2 x new concrete sections for the rear and front to extend width of garage.
4. Buy new joists and corrugated bitumen roofing sheets for roof. Buy new rear window and side access door.
5. Erect existing garage in new location, inclusive of installing additional sections, roof, window and side door.

Ideally I'd like to opt for all new, however if Option B is doable and would come in at a significant saving I'd very likely take this route as the existing garage does its job ... however could do with making it wider to ease access in/out of car.

Thoughts? And don't say 'smaller car' ;)

Sponsored Links
Don't see why you can't do option B, souring second hand would be cheapest as buying new the shipping might cost you twice as much.

Sponsored Links
In option B instead of sourcing new/used panels, you could perhaps just make up a timber frame and timber panel it, or make up the gap with lightweight blockwork.

I like the blockwork idea if panels get can't easily be sourced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back