Moved telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i moved my phone socket recently, there were only two wires (orange & white) connected to the rear portion of the socket (A&B).

I reconnented this way, and everything seems to work fine - is there likely to be a problem?

Sponsored Links
If your terminals where just A+B, then indicates a master NTE5a socket.

I assume as you mention no other wiring, that this is the only socket.

This is actually the BT owned socket, and the cable feeding this should not really be touched. I guess a blind eye can be turned, and hopefully you used CW1308 cable, which is identifiable by the colours Blue with white stripes, and White with blue stripes etc. These are 'twisted pairs', balanced to minimise interference.

The cable from the telephone exchange to your property is a single pair (so cores), and this terminates directly to A+B, which correspond to the 5+2 terminals respectively. Polarity here is not too important.

It is any extension wiring to secondary sockets where extra cores are required.

So, in answer to your question.....No.

When i moved my phone socket recently, there were only two wires (orange & white) connected to the rear portion of the socket (A&B).

I reconnented this way, and everything seems to work fine - is there likely to be a problem?

no

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back