Problem Telephone Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a house which has an active telephone master socket and 3 more sockets around the house. The master socket works fine, and I can plug my phone and modem into this.

The extra sockets all have two ports into which a phone can go. The only extra socket in the downstairs part of the house works on one side of the double socket, and none of the upstairs sockets work at all.

On inspecting the wiring of this downstairs socket to see if the leads had come loose on one side, everything looks OK. I believe if I could get this socket working properly, the chances are the upstairs sockets would start working. Has anyone got a suggestion?

Sponsored Links
In my house we used a fax machine and the telephone went first to fax and then to all telephones and once a fax was detected it turned off all phones in the house to get a better signal. This was as per instructions with fax machine. Once the fax machine was removed all other phone sockets become dead.

I now need to alter this as new fax machine does not work the same way and does not need to disconnect the phones to get improved signal.

Maybe your house had old type fax machine used by previous owners. I have temp lead joining sockets where old fax machine was.

Yes I know 19th Cent tech but I think there have been a few improvements over the last 100+ years!

Sponsored Links
Maybe the spark used DUAL CIRCUIT, dual outlets (LJ5's).

These have two sets of terminals on the back.

Maybe (just maybe), he ran a cable from the master socket looping past each secondary location, and when he connected them he connected one cable to one pair of terminals, and one to the other. This would result in just the very first socket working.

Can you take a picture and post it here of the inside of the socket? Or describe what is connected?

If he did do this, he should have used LJ4's which are SINGLE CIRCUIT, dual outlet. You could just use a small length of cable at each socket to join 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 to sort the issue.

This is just a possibility though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back