Internal Telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I need some assistance with my home telephone wiring. I've got BT master socket upstairs and I've got 1 telephone box downstairs and 3 upstairs but right now only the one downstairs is working. I need to get at least one working upstairs. It seems none of the extension boxes upstairs have any connectivity and I believe builders cut the wire somewhere while they were doing work in my house.
What would be the easiest way of fixing this?
Would I be able to get 2 extension cables out from the master socket? One for downstairs and one for upstairs?

Sponsored Links
builders cut the wire somewhere while they were doing work in my house.
What would be the easiest way of fixing this?

Run a new cable in wodd be a good start.

easier than trying to find the cut / damagaed cable

Probably best to find cable damage as this could put a fault on your line,you could just run a extension off the front plate of the nte to which ever socket you want working, 2 and 5 a and b lines and 3 for ringing cct.

if the master is upstairs that would be the best place to start.

I dont agree with trying to find the damaged cable, suppose its under a laminated floor or under.......

a BT bloke once told me he spent an hour and a half looking for a cable fault, he ran a new cable in, in 45 mins.

Sponsored Links
The frist thing I would do is test all the cores with a multimeter. Phone cable typically has more cores than are actually needed.

Of course this won't help if they have cut right through the cable. The only options in this case are to either find the cut or redo the entire run.

Thanks for replies guys.
I think I know were the cable is cut but unfortunately its all under newly laid laminate flooring now.
My question is would I be able to run 2 extensions from the BT master socket? The one that's currently going downstairs is working properly. But I need to get at least one working extension upstairs and I guess it'll be easier for me to get another wire out from the BT master socket.
Another major issue I've right now is when I plug in the Internet router cable in the BT master socket, it doesn't get any broadband connection but it works fine from the test socket. I guess its to do with the extension wire that's running within my house?

would I be able to run 2 extensions from the BT master socket?
yes.
Running in new cables would also be the best idea, since the existing cables are damaged, and dissconect the old ones
-------------------------------------------

Probably best to find cable damage

Run a new cable in wodd be a good start.

easier than trying to find the cut / damagaed cable

iI dont agree with trying to find the damaged cable, suppose its under a laminated floor or under.......

......I know were the cable is cut but unfortunately its all under newly laid laminate flooring now.

Best to start again from the master socket,In my previous post when i said best to find faulty cable i did`nt mean start lifting floorboards etc,just find faulty cable coming out of nte or extension,my guess is after first extension as this is the last place you have dial tone,then disconnect this,faulty cable left connected to a extension or master socket has a high chance of putting a fault on your line,if your line was tested i would bet it would come back with a rectified loop or loop fault.Just because you have dial tone does not mean the line is fault free.In short disconnect wiring from the last socket you have dial tone on and start again.P.S never a good idea to run cable under floors or carpet apart from the chance of it getting cut,walking over the cable will eventually lead to it going faulty.
PPS You can run as many extensions off the master socket as you like either parallel or series wiring just don`t plug two many phones in as this can effect ringing

Almost certainly disregard the old cable under the new flooring it will cause intermittent problems as it gets crushed by people walking over it. Start afresh from the Nte and run new cables, see if you can drill out of the back of the Nte and run them externally it's easier than internal (to be correct black 6 wire should be used ). It doesn't matter how many boxes you have connected just so long as the ren doesn't exceed 4 (ie 4 phones assuming they all have a ren of 1).
Having said that try to keep wiring and connections to a minimum for the sake of your broadband,most internal wiring can affect the line noise and keep away from any mains running parallel for any considerable length.
Failing that get a pack of dect phones and plug one in the master and the others don't need sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back