Telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long story short, I have a master socket - that has been working fine - although the cover plate was unscrewed.

I was told my O2 that if I plugged the modem cable into the master socket behind the faceplate - my speed would be faster. It was.

However, the extension upstairs would only work, if I recall correctly, if the phone socket on the face plate that covers the master socket, had a phone plugged into it. Not a problem...

Until I was moving some stuff and the orange/white, blue/white, white/blue and white orange came out of the pinouts.

I tried connecting back - using 2 - orange/white, 3 - blue/white, 4 white/blue and 5 white/orange - no dialtone. I went upstairs and on the extension I have 2 blue white into 2 - 2 orange white into 3 and 2 white blue into 5.

How can I get the downstairs phone working again???
Why does the extension only work if I have the phone downstairs plugged in??

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
the wiring for your extension is connected to the face plate normally 2=blue with wite 3=orange with wite and 5=white with blue. ok

However, the extension upstairs would only work, if I recall correctly, if the phone socket on the face plate that covers the master socket, had a phone plugged into it.

{.....}

Why does the extension only work if I have the phone downstairs plugged in??

Assuming that you now have all the wires in the right place, it could be a faulty connection on the unit which is making contact properly when the plug is pressed into place but not when the plug is removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back