moveing broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will shortly be moving house and my isp says that i have to inform them of the move and they will arrange for the line to be broadband at a cost of £50,
will it not be quicker to get bt to do that when inform them of the move and just inform my isp of the change of address,
im not bothered but i would like it back on asap as they say it may take upto 20 days.
any advice please
can i use a standed modem temporarily in the meantime
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
probably is the answer. but you dont pay bt, you pay your isp, and they pay bt on your behalf

and yes you can use dial up in the mean time, but you will have to remove all traces of your BB modem, buy a dial up modem and sign up for a new service or P.A.Y.G.

Sounds like a ripoff, change your ISP. I use BT Broadband and the setup was free. They didn't charge me any extra when I moved house either, although there was a delay in reconnection.

Which ISP do you use so we can avoid them? :D

Igorian said:
Which ISP do you use so we can avoid them? :D

Igorian, i disagree with you, i do not see the need to avoid "THEM" its johnad's choice who his isp is, not yours or mine, if he wants to pay a feeble amount for a limited service, have grief when /if his broad band connection goes wrong, has trouble getting it moved, have to pay for the privelage, that's his choice not yours or mine.:cool:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
Igorian, i disagree with you, i do not see the need to avoid "THEM" its johnad's choice who his isp is, not yours or mine, if he wants to pay a feeble amount for a limited service, have grief when /if his broad band connection goes wrong, has trouble getting it moved, have to pay for the privelage, that's his choice not yours or mine.:cool:

And your point is?

i use tiscali broadband (1mb) so are you saying this is a bad deal to have to pay £50, ?
i have always received a good service from tiscali and after all this will only be a one off payment all i want is the quickest way to get reconnected to my broadband service.

Igorian said:
And your point is?

you obviously didn't see the funny side, i am saying its not our fault he got a cheap BB connection, he is now suffering the consequences

johnad said:
i use tiscali broadband (1mb) so are you saying this is a bad deal to have to pay £50, ?
i have always received a good service from tiscali and after all this will only be a one off payment all i want is the quickest way to get reconnected to my broadband service.

i would say it is a "bad deal"since you have to pay £50 to have your BB connection moved, as has been said bt do it free.

I once met a genuine bt BB engineer, he confirmed what i already thought.

abc company offer BB @ x rate, abc Co do not actually supply BB, they buy it from BT. if the end user has a problem they have to contact abc Co. abc Co then call BT, since that is at least 2 calls that has to be made it can go wrong from there, if a BT customer has a BB problem they can call BT direct, being a direct BT customer takes priority, if the BT BB engineer finds a problem with the line he passes it back to abc Co, if its a BT BB he calls his office and they sort it pdq.

Although in your case it is a BT line, the BT BB eng still has to pass it back to abc Co.

My point is that although it seems cheaper to have abc Co for BB, in the long run, it probably isnt, you have already had to pay £50.

When i moved house (always with BT) because i was an existing customer, they could not provide a line from the local exchange to do what i wanted / already had, so they redireted a line from the town i used to live in to where i am.

now before you start saying that's B.S. I should point out that i only moved from one side of town to the other, but the bit i moved to is not officially covered by the exchange i was on, but by a smaller "local" exchange, but as i said, the local exchange was not yet "modern", so they ran a line from the town exchange (that i was origonaly on) to where i am, now, i even got to choose a new phone number (which was at the time unheard of with BT)

I did all this about 10 years ago.

now thats what i call service

breezer said:
you obviously didn't see the funny side, i am saying its not our fault he got a cheap BB connection, he is now suffering the consequences

Soz, I got all confuzed. Forgot to put my specs on :cool: . Better now :LOL:

thanks for your comments everyone,
i have 1mb broadband from tiscali and i do use it quite a bit i pay £17 a month flat rate for unlimited usage,
i have just had a look at the bt website and the standard bb connection was £17.99 and had a download limit,
looks like there are pro's and con's to them all
or am i missing something ??
i must admit im not to clued up on all this but if you can say the best way is bt then i would think about switching
thanks.

johnad said:
i have 1mb broadband from tiscali and i do use it quite a bit i pay £17 a month flat rate for unlimited usage,
i have just had a look at the bt website and the standard bb connection was £17.99 and had a download limit,

Actually, looking at the Tiscali site, you do have a usage cap. See here.

i didn't realise that this was the case as i was origanatly on a pay as you go then went to pay monthly before upgrading to broadband and stupidly just went along without thinking,
so what all this means im not sure am i better with bt then ???
i have had no problems with tiscali so far and as far as i can see you may go above the limit on downloads as long as it is not affecting there network or other users but they reserve the right to give priority to light users.
any advice please

colleague of mine had same fee from his ISP for moving, but that wa cos he was keeping his number. you doing the same?... if so that s the standard fee!

Sponsored Links
Back