hello

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all...
been away on holiday camping for 3 weeks and then no computer.
Had to wipe hard drive (well thats what dell help line told me..)and start again.

will probably get moved to computer section but wanted to say hello here first!

anyway, help please....

we subscribe to bt broadband.
I rang to get put 'back on broadband' and they sent me new equipment to do that.
Last time I had a modem but now I have a router. I dont know the difference?

now it doesnt matter who logs on, we automatically get put onto hubs internet profile and his mail is visible to who ever logs on etc..!
this didnt happen last time.

last time with broad band before the computer seemed to just crash... we could all log on and then access our own accounts individually with passwords.

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
hi all...
...Had to wipe hard drive (well thats what dell help line told me..)and start again...

I bet you're glad you do a regular backup to discs! :D

One of the pleasures of working with IT professionals is being able to occasionally say, with a warm smile "but of course, you took a backup?"
laughing-smiley-018.gif
rofl5.gif
laughing-smiley-018.gif

(I do!) :D

Sponsored Links
Last time I had a modem but now I have a router. I dont know the difference?

now it doesnt matter who logs on, we automatically get put onto hubs internet profile and his mail is visible to who ever logs on etc..!
this didnt happen last time.

A router is in very siple terms a way to distribute your internet connection, so now rather than the pc having to tell the adsl modem it wants to connect, the router automatically (Assuming its setup right...) connects to the internet, then "passes on the internet" to your pc.

Whats an internet profile? such a thing doesnt exist !
What are you using for email? i.e. webmail/outlook/outlook express. Do you have different profiles (little pictures to click to logon) on the pc?

it has taught me to enrol on basic computer course... I dont care about most stuff but Im sad about the photographs ive lost...

A shame, I know how it is, see it all to often. The sad thing is, you may not have had to wipe your pc, but even if you did, they ("tech support") could have talked you through backing up - sadly they dont (unless you call their premium line of course...)

hub changed it with new router to webmail.

when the computer starts up we have five different family users come up.

sorry... when I said internet profile... I meant that it shows my husbands name and shows up his yahoo amail account. (best I can descibe)

thank you in for replies so far... I need to go out now (taxi for kids)... will log on later... thanks.

Hi,

Does it (the pc) log into yayoo regardless of who logs on (which picture you click)
Is (and do you want..) yahoo as your email address
Do you have other email addresses?
how do you want to access email?

Just a quick thought, my Router had to have my AOL Screen name and password programmed into it in order for it to connect to broadband when it is turned on. Can it be that Toffees hubs Username and Password is being used to connect the Router to the broadband hence everyone who connects to the router has direct access to Mr T's email account?

no, the router doesnt care - it needs the user/password to connect but thats it, it has no say whatsoever who goes to what web page (ok some have content restriction but thats something else)
With Your AOL setup, you could still go to aol.com and login to anybodys aol account (Assuming you have the username/password!) just like Toffee could sit here and log into her yahoo account.

If you are using an email client (outlook express for example) it's simply a matter of creating an email account for each user. This can be done with a single Windows account or separately. although the latter means you can talk to your boyfriend without ya hubby finding out ;) .

There is plenty of help at the BTYahoo site and you can even download the relevant scripts to setup outlook express for you.

Sponsored Links
Back