Movement caused Crack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, From the pics you will see a crack which appears to have travelled at ceiling height? which someone today has told me is a sign of movement. The property is a very old Bungalow. From the pics you will see where there has been a water/damp issue at the top and bottom (but not centre). I was told today that the black staining is likely to have come from mould?. Also the build outside is Pebbledashed and there are two cracks top to bottom which are placed either side of this corner, so was I wrong to think that the damp was caused by ingress of water through these outside cracks?. Sorry for long post. Thanks, and please no sarcastic comments! 20200801_115349.jpg

Attachments

• 20200801_115406.jpg
    20200801_115406.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200801_115432.jpg
    20200801_115432.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200801_115418.jpg
    20200801_115418.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
The diagonal crack is usually a sign of movement, its pointing at the doorway so possibly a timber lintel starting to fail.
The rest-cracked render won't be helping matters. Any telltale green stains from dripping gutters?

The diagonal crack is usually a sign of movement, its pointing at the doorway so possibly a timber lintel starting to fail.
The rest-cracked render won't be helping matters. Any telltale green stains from dripping gutters?
The Front Window is a square Bay so yes does have a large lintel and this crack is on one side (not the wall side). It seems to be of concrete rather than wood. There is no sign of any green residue. Just not sure if the obvious damp issue has come about from the crack in the wall running along ceiling crease or if the damp is because of blown pebbledash

Sponsored Links
I'd be amazed if there was a concrete lintel in a 'very old bungalow' (mind, your idea of very old might be 1970. My idea would be nearer 1900...
That crack between wall and ceiling- have you got gutters on the outside of that wall or is it a gable end? If gutters, stick a spirit level or a plumb line on the wall near the top, see how vertical it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back