Movement on property

22 May 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi my property is 1970s and has signs of movement a small vertical crack below front window a small diagonal crack from the soffit to the top bedroom window and most concerning along the side of the house about two metres long it seems the brickwork has slipped of the dpc course 10mm at its worst point I will upload a pic. We are on clay ground I did find that the waste pipe from the dishwasher washing machine and kitchen sink was broken and allowing water into the ground and have since replaced. Could that be the cause of the issue and is this an exspensive repair?


  • image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
slipped? more like built that way when they realised they were way out.
check the other houses in the street , there’s probably quite a few the same.
Dear OP
To be clear, I am no expert but we have lived in our own properties for years.
Looking at the pic, I'm 100% with the poster above..

Slightly different but the house we live in and the bathroom we have not re-worked. I've noted the tiles at the bottom comes out a bit, slight curve outwards. The reason for that is that the plastering person is just inclined to do it like that. It's not right but it is what it is.

From what I know, I've never known a property to "slip" move like that.

If you are still uncertain, get an expert.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
The elevation has expanded on the DPC and moved outward. Its common, and not normally progressive, and not repairable other than repointing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local