Internal and external wall cracks

17 Nov 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've just bought a first floor maisonette (1950s construction) and am seeking some advice on what I can/should do with some external and internal cracks in the brickwork/plaster (none of the cracks are overly substantial and it is more cosmetic than anything else I feel).
Externally, there are some relatively small vertical cracks in the brickwork adjacent to one of my windows and I note that the are also cracks present near the window (directly below my window) of the downstairs property. My question is whether it is worth me stitching the brickwork near my window or am I wasting my time if attention is not given to doing the same on the brickwork below (not owned by me).
Internally, a couple of the walls have cracks in the corners (see pics). Not really sure why these have occurred. Is there anything I should look at doing to try to stop the movement occurring
and what would be the best way to fill these cracks (ideally would like to just skim the walls and paint rather than wallpaper)
Sponsored Links
Do you actually own the external structure to be responsible for it?

The plasterer cracking is just normal decorating filling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links