1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Internal and external wall cracks

Discussion in 'Building' started by craig1234, 10 Jul 2021.

1. craig1234

craig1234

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've just bought a first floor maisonette (1950s construction) and am seeking some advice on what I can/should do with some external and internal cracks in the brickwork/plaster (none of the cracks are overly substantial and it is more cosmetic than anything else I feel).
    Externally, there are some relatively small vertical cracks in the brickwork adjacent to one of my windows and I note that the are also cracks present near the window (directly below my window) of the downstairs property. My question is whether it is worth me stitching the brickwork near my window or am I wasting my time if attention is not given to doing the same on the brickwork below (not owned by me).
    Internally, a couple of the walls have cracks in the corners (see pics). Not really sure why these have occurred. Is there anything I should look at doing to try to stop the movement occurring thumbnail_20210707_170620.jpg thumbnail_20210707_170601.jpg and what would be the best way to fill these cracks (ideally would like to just skim the walls and paint rather than wallpaper)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you actually own the external structure to be responsible for it?

The plasterer cracking is just normal decorating filling

4. craig1234

craig1234

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes - it's a flying freehold that I own.