Porch detaching from property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Over the past year or so i have been observing small movements (gaps) appearing between the porch brickwork and the main brickwork of the adjoining property. This started with small cracks but now equates to about 2cm at the most significant point. I havent recorded any movement in the last couple of months but im worried that this could be putting pressure somewhere else which could cause damage.

The property is 6 years old.

Is this something which needs addressing urgently, and if so would it fall within the NHBC 10 year warranty?

I have uploaded several photos to give an idea of the gaps.

View media item 36671 View media item 36670 View media item 36672 View media item 36673

Many thanks

Leon

Sponsored Links
not good the porch should be tied into the house in some way and the foundations must be suspect looking at your pictures get someone to look at the porch roof in the near future as that is the bit that will land on your head if that gap gets any bigger. not sure about your warranty but if does not cover it you wonder what they are worth.

View media item 36671 View media item 36670 View media item 36672 View media item 36673

Many thanks

Leon[/quote]

The porch wall has not been tied to the main structure & is sinking at the front end causing the wall to move away at the top, probably due to a separate & insufficient foundation for the porch wall. Your porch may eventually fall down but it’s unlikely anything major will happen to the property.

Time to contact the Builder if he is still around but if he doesn’t want to know (quiet likely) then NHBC but they can be just as difficult; good luck ;)

Its foundation movement of the porch walls, and I doubt any ties would have helped.

Typically with new builds, this is caused by poor backfill or made up ground ..... the main house foundation trench could be dug too wide, and then just back filled in, and as the fill consolidates the new porch foundations (which are normally not as deep) sink too

Or could be just poor or no foundation at all. Normally someone (apprentice or jobber) runs around and builds all these a good while after the main house is built

You should be covered under the Buildmark scheme as this is a structural part of the house. But be prepared for some worming and dodging responsibility by the NHBC

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies, the builder was persimmon, I will start by dropping them a line tomorrow. And i thought my 2 years of snagging issues with the builder was the end of it ;)

If I don't get anywhere I will then go back to NHBC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back