Creating a Porch - opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking at putting a porch on the front of my 1900's semi detached, with full compliance from my next door neighbor, who will probably lend a hand as he would like a porch too..... so we'll do the foundations and basic structure of both sides at the same time, and then the rest seperately I would imagine.

I have built an extension in the past, and various outbuildings, so if memory serves I should be in an OK place in terms of skills!

My question relates to wall construction, and peoples opinions on the best way to go.

It will only be a small porch each in effect, of perhaps 2.2m x 2.5m..... and the reason for doing it is because our front doors lead straight into the living room, so it would be good to have somewhere to wipe the shoes and hang the coats up.

I could go full brick (this would be more in keeping with his side of the house (his is painted brick, mine is unfortunately pebble dashed).

I could go dwarf wall (a neighbour has done this with shiplap).

I am comfortable with doing either (although I haven't combined brick with wood before if you know what I mean)

By my reckoning I would guess that the Dwarf wall version would be a lot quicker (which is good at this time of year), and potentially cheaper too, but perhaps not so good for insulation?

If anybody can give me some thoughts on this that would be great.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
At 2.5m x 2.5m you would need planning permission, so best to start on a design which is in keeping with the existing house first.

Sponsored Links
At 2.5m x 2.5m you would need planning permission, so best to start on a design which is in keeping with the existing house first.
Good point Toby but irrespective of planning etc, a porch needs to look 'right' no matter what.

A porch can either complement a house or kill it. Most people get the roof horrifically wrong, so bear this in mind when designing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back