Porch coming away from house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Am very new to this but wondered if any of you might be able to offer me some advice? I live in a victorian terrace which had a small porch added about 20 years ago. We are currently selling the property and the survey has revealed the porch is coming away from the house. It doesn't seem to have been tied in at all and although the movement is minor, the buyer is very concerned. This may be a stupid question, but can such things be tied in retrospectively or will the porch need to be taken down and rebuilt?

Any advice gratefully received. I have a had a couple of people round who just seem to be giving mixed messages and I am not sure who to trust.

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Can you take some photos? Are there visible cracks?

Presumably it wasn't you that had the porch added 20 years ago?

Gary

at the very minimum tell us what size the cracks are top and bottom inside and out on both sides

Thanks both. We didn't add the porch- we moved in about 5 years ago and I must say I haven't noticed it getting worse. I can't add a picture right now the gap between the porch and the house is larger at the top than the bottom of the porch- I'd say just less than half a centimetre at the worst point. It has a pitched roof with slate tiles and lead flashing and a small glazed window but is not plastered or finished to any sort of decent standard inside. I have been told by one builder that he can't 'get at it' to tie it in and that the only way to fix it is to knock it down and start again, which we will do if we need to obviously. Just thought I would see your expertise!

Thanks again very much

Sponsored Links
If it's only half a centimetre and not got any worse I'd just re-point it.

The buyer is saying she wants us to 'fix' the problem so I guess she is looking for some sort of structural solution?

sometimes the buyers solicitor will insist of you buying an indemnity against something like this, they are usually cheap - might be worth asking the your solicitor if this is an option. they aren't expensive as they usually insure against something that will never happen anyway.

I have had it with a chimney breast that was removed decades ago with no cracks showing yet - but they still required the insurance, and for a conservatory that had not been approved by the architect on a house built in the 1950's, on the off chance that the long dead architect might object as is his right according to the local covenants....

a mastic might be better for filling the gap as it will give a little and not shrink like pointing might if not got quite right.

You could always foam fill the joint and then mastic it on top.

Make sure you do a tidy job though.

Andy

You could effect a structural repair using stitch bars/ Helicoil bar and an epoxy cartridge.

I have been told by one builder that he can't 'get at it' to tie it in and that the only way to fix it is to knock it down and start again.
Sounds a bit extreme for a 5mm crack :!: :eek:

Traditional solution would be to use galv or stainless corner ties resin bonded into the brickwork, but this would be seen as you've got no plaster finishes inside the porch. Unless it's rendered externally and could be covered by render?

As Joe says, Helibar would work too.

Something like this would work...

Might even have been built like that and has never moved at all. Have the bricks just been laid up against the existing wall?
This is a non-issue, polysulphide mastic and be done with it.

[quote="RonnyRaygun";

Something like this would work...[/quote]

That one with the angle was EXACTLY what I had in mind.

Use Helifix Cem Tie. Repeat Cem Tie. Similiar to what RR has suggested, but
these can be drilled through from inside existing house 1 metre long into porch wall. Three bars each side. Long reach pinning nozzle to inject resin. and Helifix Rods.
Matertials wull cost about £200.00 from ASRS Suppliers.
Will work out cheaper to use 3 number 1200. 90 degree bent Helofix stitch bars each side,but no where near as good a job though as Cem Tie.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back