moving a boiler.... but not far! cost?

no argument here
just stating my opinon.
but as soon as a customer starts saying to me hole ill core that out ill sweep up ect ect.
if i wanted a labourer id emply one!
your right you will be paying someone for there skills.
also are you saying that moving the boiler will be within the 600mm needed?
as i said for me moving a boiler is installing a boiler.
why not get quotes from engineers in your area? rather then guess work?
also £350 for the flue well thats money towards a new boiler!

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the boiler so why spend £1000+ for the sake Of it?
If there was a need to replace it in the near future it would be with a grant vortex ( exactly the same dimensions) so location and flue could all be reused. If it was a few years down the line and model etc had changed, then I'd have had my money's worth out of doin what I propose - neither option swinging me towards a new boiler now! Added to which, everyone I've spoken to says keeping this one running at the cost of a little extra oil use, I'll save in the long run on servicing a replacement condensing unit.

No need to core as would use existing double air brick hole and refil as needed. Or I would core it myself and close the air brick.

Basically if im I'm paying an oftec plumber I want to pay for oftec plumber skills, not for drilling a hole that a monkey like me can do with my own time and tools.

But for the sake of argument how much would I expect to be charged for installing/commissioning a new boiler? Excl all parts. Excl putting holes in the wall.

Methinks youve had your quota of good information on this subject, I would crack on and get it done

I appear to have unintentionally gotten on the wrong side of everyone here.

"Methinks youve had your quota of good information on this subject, I would crack on and get it done"
Thanks. Some people are being very helpful, but I didn't realise help was rationed. My apologies if I've outstayed your welcome.

"if i wanted a labourer id emply one!" thats exactly my point! If I wanted a labourer id emply one - but I can't afford one at plumber rates!

Yes £350 is saving off a new boiler - but does new boiler include a high level flue kit to route the same as this? A replacement grant would require the identical flue kit in addition to the boiler itself - so £1400ish. A wall mount isn't an option, there just isn't the space. Ultimately its not something I can justify the expense of.

If you saying it can't be done in a half day, then fair do's, it surprises me, but fine. So whats the going rate for a full day? or as I worded it earlier, installing/comission the boiler in the location. I only mention the coring as it was mentioned by someone else, and I am specifically aiming to utilise an existing hole as it would have to be filled anyway, and it more or less ideally located. The only price I've had so far is "£900-1200" excluding the flue kit. Even Allowing £200 for other parts, thats a bloody good hourly rate! Which is why I'm asking what I should be expecting? Is this realistic?

"also are you saying that moving the boiler will be within the 600mm needed?" - not quite sure what you mean. The flue is the issue here, with it currently being only 500mm from the door at waste level. The propose extension of the flue (combined with the relocation of the boiler) will put it at around 1200mm away, and vertically higher that the top of the door. My understanding of the regs lead me to believe the only problem with the proposed location is the distance to the downpipe, which can be resolved with a heat sheild.

"How do you expect anyone to be able to guess what you 'expect' to be charged. " Sorry that should have read "how much should I expect to be charged"

"It can't be notified to LABC as a new install anyway so installers with OFTEC can't fulfill that obligation." - not sure what your getting at here. I don't need anything notifying as a NEW installation, which as I understand it would REQUIRE a new condensing boiler. From what I've read on here, relocation of the existing boiler, within the same building is permitable.

At the end of the day, I'm not concerned with paperwork, registration and notifications. I just want it to be phyiscally safe and proper. I can't afford to pay for a new boiler & installation. I can't afford to pay 900install+350flue which is the only price I have to go on so far.

Once again, I truly appreciate the help I've been receiving, and I apologise if I'm doing something to offend one or all of you. That is certainly not my intention.

It can't be notified to LABC as a new install anyway so installers with OFTEC can't fulfill that obligation."[/color] - not sure what your getting at here.

What I'm getting at is, commissioning and/or notification of new oil installs are the only jobs you need OFTEC (other bodies also offer oil competent persons schemes) for. So you may as well DIY the lot.

Sponsored Links
commissioning and/or notification of new oil installs are the only jobs you need OFTEC (other bodies also offer oil competent persons schemes) for.

Thank you I wasn't aware of that. I was thinking it was like the gas safe scenario - ie. not registered = don't use them. But I guess gas is a some what riskier business.

Looks like I'm going to have to go the DIY route anyway due to deminishing funds. THis was never my intention, but it sounds like its feasible. Thank you to all those that have assisted.

One final question. Would the extended flue require the boiler to be adjusted/tuned in any way? It has been recently serviced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back