Moving a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

I have a victorian house which has a toilet which is accessed from the garden . In the same location above the cistern is our boiler , we want to knock down the walls around the loo and block up the door and reclaim the space for out kitchen . i've attached a diagram which i hope explains things better . the boiler is a potterton netaheat electronic . we intend to move this through 90 degrees so it will sit on the back wall of the house .

I'm paying someone to do this but need advise on wether or not he would need access to the boiler from above and any other hints ,ideas or concerns would be good .

I have a photo i can scan but it will be in pdf format which darkhost don't seem to host

Thanks in advance

1134994591_kitchen.JPG

Sponsored Links
This ...

I'm paying someone to do this but need advice on whether or not he would need access to the boiler from above and any other hints, ideas or concerns would be good

Normally this isn't necessary :D

Sponsored Links
ah sorry , re-reading it does make it look like i'm asking the same question twice .

to further explain , this work on the kitchen isn't being done for another month but currently i'm doing my bathroom (the floor above) so would need to know if i should tile my floor just in case it needs to be ripped up again .

any thought as to the new position of the boiler , is it too close to the window etc ? I was hoping the guy that moves the boiler would also be able to knock down the wall and i'd do all the make good after (as i would be replastering the entire kitchen anyway , but thats a story for another day)

so far i haven't been able to get anyone round to quote , possibyl picked the wrong time of year to do this .

I would be rather suprised if people were queueing up to move your netaheat, mostly they are moved from the wall to the tip!

Personally I have only ever removed them (which is a struggle anyway). As yours appears to be currently flueing sideways, in your proposed position you would need to obtain the rear exit flue, which fits about two thirds of the way up the boiler. I assume that you would also have to buy the oblong wall thingy.

Would it not make better sense to replace this obsolete, inefficient, potentially dangerous (try googling it) boiler with something more uo to date?

ArtfulBodger said:
I would be rather suprised if people were queueing up to move your netaheat, mostly they are moved from the wall to the tip!

Personally I have only ever removed them (which is a struggle anyway). As yours appears to be currently flueing sideways, in your proposed position you would need to obtain the rear exit flue, which fits about two thirds of the way up the boiler. I assume that you would also have to buy the oblong wall thingy.

Would it not make better sense to replace this obsolete, inefficient, potentially dangerous (try googling it) boiler with something more uo to date?

ditto PMSL.

There are two doubtful points!

Firstly, if you are paying someone to move the boiler one would expect that he is CORGI registered and will know a lot more about boilers than you do and can answer all these points?

Secondly, if he is CORGi registered then one wonders why he has not advised you that it is poor economy to move such an old and inefficient boiler.

It is very questionable that it is permissable under the building regs to move an old boiler rather than replacing it with a modern efficient condensing boiler.

Tony

It is permissible I rang the dogs about a similar situation and they gave me a code to enter on the gwn.

Certainly it's not advisable.

I gave my client such a high quote for the job they never came back to me. I had to cover myself against their puma never working again after the move.

thanks for the advice , back to the drawing board with this one as we haven't budgeted for a new boiler .

To the pros here, while CORGi have probably given Paul the correct advice, remember it is not any part of their remit to interpret or police the Building Regulations.

That they do so is not universally appreciated!

Tony

i realise this is a piece of string question but how much is a new boiler going to hit me for approx ? Its a 2 bed house with 7 rads .

woowoospanner said:
i realise this is a piece of string question but how much is a new boiler going to hit me for approx ? Its a 2 bed house with 7 rads .

Depends on:-

(a) what you have in the way on approved controls
(b) whether you have gravity HW and pumped CH from the netaheat
(c) if you'll cough uo for a power flush
(d) proximity to household waste system

I'd bank on £1500 - £1950

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back