moving a hinge by 2/3mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an external opening door that has three hinges fitted, the top hinge is lined up correctly with the frame, but the top of the timber door projects from the frame by 2/3mm and the draughtstrip doesn't meet the frame at that point.

The last time I watched a joiner do it he used a bradawl to carefully make a fresh hole for the screws. Our door maybe slightly bowed at the top.

Can I use matchsticks with glue in the old screw holes?

Will I also need to compensate the middle hinge also?

Sponsored Links
I would use something a bit more substantial than matchsticks but yes the principle is there, i'd cut a slither off the length of scrap timber, shave it to round with a stanley knife, fill the holes with wood glue (PVA) and hammer them in, leave at least 24hrs to fully dry and trim off with a sharp chisel.

Remove screws on the middle hinge when refitting the top hinge, then see where the middle hinge wants to sit naturally, chop out frame to flush the hinge in if needed, at least this way all 3 hinge pins run in the same plane

So if I understand you correctly, it's not your advice to try to correct a slight bow in the door by moving a hinge? Rather, allow the hinges to sit where they fall naturally.

Yes correct but its only my opinion, if you force the hinges to take a bow out of a door the the pins won't run inline and it'll give you the impression the door swing is spring loaded as your bending the door or the lining, it'll act like a kitchen cabinet door, pull it half open and it'll want to open itself, half closed and it'll close on its own

Sponsored Links
This kind of DIY is not something I do everyday, so are there any caveats I should be aware of?

I am supporting the door when I take off the hinges, but leaving the bottom hinge fully tight. I was wondering whether to just loosen the screws in the bottom hinge just enough to allow the door to be shifted into it's new position.

I was going to use a bradawl as I felt it more accurate than a fine drill bit.

I have made up a few softwood plugs as you suggested.

Do I have to leave it 24 hours? means door open overnight etc.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back