Moving a hinge on a wooden door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have built a set of bifold doors. Each door is effectively a fire door weighing around 30kg. I have used a set of large flush hinges approx 100 x 70 and three per door. They work, but the finish on the hinge is not great so I want to replace them. Am I safe move the hinge say half a hinge length and rescrewing, or will this leave the new holes too close to the original? I plan on filling the existing holes with wooden dowel and epoxy.

Thanks for any help. New to all this and it has gone better than I expected, hence the wish for some nicer hinges now!

Sponsored Links
Everything is OK in moderation. But 18 holes in the door frame and 18 holes in the door can't be good for structural strength. But it will work. If the old and new hinges have the same hole positions, you could move the hinge by 2/3 hinge and reuse one of the existing holes per hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back