Moving a light switch to stub wall query?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In short;
I wanted to confirm that I cannot fit a relocated light switch in a stud wall with a plastic dry lining box as the switch wire wouldn't be earthed?

or can you buy a metal dry line box?

Full reason explained below.

Thanks a lot.

I recently moved a light switch in one room where the door had been hung the other way by previous owner. This was a case of blanking of the old switch, using the same switch wire and running it down the inside of a stud wall the other side of the door and fitting an architrave surface mounted switch.

But i now want to move another in my mums house, for the same reason. She would prefer a flush fitted switch as it is not near the door frame, just along the wall.
I don't have a problem in running the cable (once I've checked for batons in the stud wall) but with a dry lining plastic box i would be unable to earth the switch wire.

Sponsored Links
put it in a conecter. If you use a plastic box & switch, you just don't require it.

If you have no earth in the switch wire then you will be better off with a plastic dry lining box and a non-metallic switch.
This is a clue that your wiring might need an inspection/upgrading as earths were introduced into lighting circuits around 1966.

Sponsored Links
The earth wire is there to earth anything metallic on the circuit - in this case a metal box or possibly a switch. But if your switch has neither then the earth wire is not needed and can be terminated in a connector by itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back