Moving a plug socket 2ft - bare wago in backbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to move a 2gang plug socket 2ft horizontally across the wall. I will be keeping the old (metal) backbox and putting a blanking plate over the old socket.

To extend the wiring (which is ring main), is it sufficient to use 2 x three pole levered connectors like this one from Toolstation?

Or should I spend the extra and buy 6x Wago 221-2411 inline connectors?

In either situation (Toolstation or Wago) do I need to wrap these connectors in some other sort of housing?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
or you could use these

To extend the wiring (which is ring main), is it sufficient to use 2 x three pole levered connectors like this one from Toolstation?
Yes.

In either situation (Toolstation or Wago) do I need to wrap these connectors in some other sort of housing?
Not if they are in a back box with blank cover.

BUT:

Why don't you just leave the socket in place and run a spur from it?

Out of interest, what does this mean exactly?

1685986032498.png

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just leave the socket in place and run a spur from it?
The thought did occur to me. We are having fitted cupboards installed in the area where the old socket is. I would think it unlikely that I will ever need access to that socket again. That said, the carpenter said he can fit the socket plate flush with the cupboard interior so that I could have power inside the cupboard, so maybe not a bad idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back