Please validate my socket removal plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to remove a socket and being a first timer, looking for some verification that what I am doing isn't total madness.

The property only has one circuit for all the sockets and the socket I wish to remove is on the ring, and is situated on the upstairs ceiling, therefore easy to access cabling from the loft.

What I'm planning on getting:

Wago junction box - maintenance free? https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-221-4-junction-box/p54159
Wago 221 connectors - https://www.toolstation.com/wago-221-2-way-compact-lever-connectors/p50675
Earth sleeving - https://www.toolstation.com/pvc-earth-sleeving-100m/p41371

The process:

1. Turn off the power at main circuit breaker because it's better to be careful here

2. Cut the incoming cable to the socket and the outgoing one

3. Strip back the outer insulation around 15cm - ish?

4. Strip back inner insulation on live and neutral, to whatever length Wago connector is, about 5mm I would guess

5. Add earth sleeve to both sets of earth - not sure if this is required?

6. Join live to live, neutral to neutral, earth to earth. Situate connectors in Wago box.

7. Switch back on power and hope for the best

Questions:

Is this sane?

Do I need a multimeter? Would it offer me reassurance here?

Should I get a wire stripper? Or use my trusty stanley blade?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirmations, I feel assured now!

You can never have too many sockets. Why do you want to remove it?

Yup it's on the ceiling and I want to plasterboard over it!

You will also need a cable tie if you want the joint to be maintenance free.

Was under the impression the WAGO was already maintenance free without the need for extra cable ties, but will double check thanks.

The wagobox has a hole that you’re supposed to fit a tie through to make it maintenance free.

The wagobox has a hole that you’re supposed to fit a tie through to make it maintenance free.

Thanks, I see you also need to de-rate to max 20amps if you want a maintenance free connection with Wago so I think I'll keep as accessible.

Was under the impression the WAGO was already maintenance free without the need for extra cable ties, but will double check thanks.
Only when installed in accordance to the manufacturer's instructions as to how to achieve maintenance free certification, which clearly states that a cable tie must be used.

Not a fan of fiddly Wago blocks and boxes. I'm a Hager J803 box convert. No faffing about with cable ties - seal is built in.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back