moving a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help
i want to move a radiator from one wall to another about 6ft away ,it is downstairs and plumbed in using microbore pipe.the pipework is reasonably accessable under the floorboards.the combi boiler is a worcester 24cdi.i was wondering if i need to completely drain the system(if so ,how?)and whether i could reuse the existing microbore pipes by pulling them back under the floorboards, if they would reach the other side and just use new compression fittings.
any help would be much appreciated.cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes you will need to freeze or drain the whole system. Should be a drain valve on one of the rads or the downstairs pipe work somewhere.

If the pipe work is long enough use it just be careful not to kink the pipes compression joints are fine

You do need to drain down but it is easy. Turn off the boiler and isolate the electrical supply. Find a drain cock on one of the ground floor radiators. Drain down at this point. Open one or two air vents on the radiators upstairs to allow air in. When the water stops open the air vent on the radiator you are draining down from. The system will be empty now but you will find a small amount of water still in the pipes. If you cant find a drain cock on a radiator you can drain down at the boiler but this will leave a lot more water in the pipe work. If you pull about micro bore pipes as you say be very carefull as they damage very easy and if you kink the pipe it will afect the radiator it is serving. Befor you re fill make sure you put in a good quality inhibitor(sentinal or fernox) this can be added into any of the radiators when the system is drained

Sponsored Links
I would recommend, fitting new rad and pipework first back to underfloor position.
freeze both old pipes, cut and connect using compression fittings, and fill new rad, job done
ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back