Moving a Socket further from sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I've read up about the distance wall (plug) sockets should be from the sink. My mother has just had a new sink & worktop which is larger than the old sink and so is closer to the wall socket - thus bringing attention to the safety!

An electrician came to quote the job,he agreed to move it would be safer. He has been back and moved the socket 45cm right of where it was (new socket position is 25cm across and 25cm up from sink so seems safer from splashes!)

In place of the old socket position (25cm above sink) has been placed a union box with a blank, removeable, plastic cover behind which a new lenghth of cable goes to the new socket.

Is this plate safe and legal?

the whole idea was 1)to make things safe and legal (she may sell house) and 2) have job done legally so that it can be signed off/authorised or whatever!

Thanks to all who may help

Sponsored Links
The new location sounds fine and a picture of the union/joint box would be a great help.

Did your sparks give you any documentation, i.e minor works certificate?

The new location sounds fine and a picture of the union/joint box would be a great help.

Did your sparks give you any documentation, i.e minor works certificate?

I have attached a picture (sorry about the poor quality) (find it at - //network.diynot.com/Safeas/albums/185 - ) or here:
I guess the issue with a blank plate is whether splashes could get at the electrics!

I haven't had any certification whatsoever yet - I'm still waiting for the bill and I'll ask for something before payment.
The new socket isn't on straight and I could have fixed it better probably but I wouldn't have thought about putting a joiner box with blank face-plate in it's place!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back