moving a socket in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having a new kitchen put in.

The design we have planned requires a socket to be moved away from the new hob position.

I would like to know how the socket is moved ie. do the install a blanking plate or can the wire extension be wired so that I don't have a big blanking plate in the old socket location.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to see where the cables come from, and see if they can re-routed to a more suitable location.

I doubt you want to see a blanking plate.

If the cables come up from the floor it is easier to move/extend them to another place, as a socket or a joint out of sight.

If they come from above you may be able to join them in the ceiling void or even utilise them for the extractor fan if you are having one.

As regards to fitting another socket somewhere it may be easier to feed it from another point in the kitchen, if suitable.

It would NOT be a good idea to join the cables and plaster/tile over.

If you can do so safely, and with the power off, find out how many cables are at the socket, and which direction they come from.

You may prefer to get an electrician for this job.

Send photos if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back