Moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the plug sockets in my new (old) house have sockets on the skirting boards, I would like to replace with modern slimmer sockets and move them 5 inches up on to the wall, do I have to run new wires to the sockets to extend it or can I use a plastic screw block type of thing and bury it in the wall?

Sponsored Links
if they are that low they are PROBABLY over 30 years old (it was the norm then)

if this is the case you should rewire the whole house.

If it is not the case, no you can not use connector blocks, or junction boxes as they are no longer allowed. (but you can use crimps and a ratchet crimper, but you can not bury them in the wall)

SORRY :cry:

Thanks for the fast reply, I shall have to rewire by degrees (tight buget)
where should I start, new fusebox?

its up to you, i would have thought that since you will have to rewire the whole house, you could start buy buing one socket back box and "smashing" holes in the walls for them to fit, then a channel for the cables to go under the floor. (it will have to be done sooner or later)

then you could buy 2.5mm t & e cable and put that in, and connect a socket as and when you can buy one, then when one floor is done do the other floor

then when that is all done connect it to your existing consumers unit, because you are not allowed to change it, you have to get an electrcian in to do that, but you could buy one for him.

doing it this way you can do it as and when your budget allows.

for more information regarding how to rewire your sockets click here

then you can start on the lights

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. are you doing anything on saturday (only joking). My plan of action is as I decorate each room to replace the sockets and switches as you know they stick out nearly 2 inches. I shall replace flexs and cables as I go and get an electrician friend to connect as I go. working this way alows me to buget and spred the costs out. ever wish you had'nt started!

sorry but that will not be as easy as it sounds, because you would have to cut the old cables to join new cables in then you would have to cut them again to join together when finished.

best do the rewiring first then re decorate.

look on the bright side the longer it takes you to re wire the less decorating you will have to do. (well not for a long time you wont)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back