Moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've taken out a stud wall in my kitchen which also housed a socket. Currently the wires and socket are hanging from the ceiling. I need to remove this socket or ideally relocate it, but the cables aren't long enough to move to where I need the new socket. Alternatively, I can't chase the socket back to replace with longer cables as they disappear through the floorboards above.

Any have any ideas on what I could do?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cables and socket hanging from the roof ,and disappear through floorboards above ????
Doesn't make much sense !!
Why can't you use a maintenance free junction box to terminate the existing cables into ,and extend from there new cables to a new position ?

Sorry, edited my post. Cables run from the ceiling cavity but I'm unable to chase them back to the previous and next sockets as they go through the floorboards in the floor above.

Sorry, edited my post. Cables run from the ceiling cavity but I'm unable to chase them back to the previous and next sockets as they go through the floorboards in the floor above.
I assume you meant the cables run through joists under the floorboards?
Use MF Junction box that can sit in the ceiling void.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, the J804 worked a treat.

One other question if I may. Is it possible to feed two separate sockets from the junction box that I've put in? One socket will be a dedicated fused spur for a washing machine and the second will be a double socket in my dining room. I will be wiring them directly from the MF Junction box and not looping the cables via the sockets or fused spur.

Thank you, the J804 worked a treat.

One other question if I may. Is it possible to feed two separate sockets from the junction box that I've put in? One socket will be a dedicated fused spur for a washing machine and the second will be a double socket in my dining room. I will be wiring them directly from the MF Junction box and not looping the cables via the sockets or fused spur.
Will be ok. The load won’t be any different to a double socket with a spur for the wm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back