Moving a toilet a few inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently moved house and am working my way around a number of issues of previous DIY. The downstairs toilet is in quite a large room (for a wc) however the toilet is very close to the wall/door. As you sit on it your shoulder is pressed against the wall and the door can hit to toilet sometimes, the toilet isn't fixed to the floor either! So this does vary.

I want to move the toilet about 3-4 inches away from the wall however the waste pipe is quite tight and it already appears to have a offset connector on. Is it possible to cut down the existing pipe in the wall and fit a flexible connector. I really don't want to try and move the pipe through the wall.

In the photograph the toilet needs to move towards you.

Attachments

• WP_20161003_21_45_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161003_21_45_57_Pro.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 715
Sponsored Links
yes a flexible pan connector would work, but it might be worth looking at a shorter loo too as they are not all the same size. Personally I'd avoid a flexible connector if possible, but it would be the easiest option.

If you cut the pipe back a bit, you could try a longer off-set connection

yes a flexible pan connector would work, but it might be worth looking at a shorter loo too as they are not all the same size. Personally I'd avoid a flexible connector if possible, but it would be the easiest option.

If you cut the pipe back a bit, you could try a longer off-set connection

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately a shorter loo will only solve the problem with the door and not the fact that its too close to the wall.

Are flexible connectors prone to problems?

I've only changed a toilet once before and that was an old loo that was a long way from the wall so I simply cut the pipe down and used an offset connector.

The pro's say they are good as anything else, but personally I don't like them.

Sponsored Links
Where does that pipe go to once through the wall? It look too high and too short, if you want to do a proper job I think you'd be better to move it across and down if at all possible and get a tight connection onto the pan. That is only just sealing, (if it is sealing!) in your picture!

Thanks, this on the outside wall so goes directly out but it is quite low to the ground already on the outside and would necessitate adjusting the whole stack so I'd rather avoid this. I'll post a picture of the outside tomorrow, it's a bit dark now.

IMG_6454.PNG
This will give you 40 mm. Or get a new soil socket + 90 degree bend and alter it outside. If you use one of these
IMG_6454.PNG
Make sure the end connected to the pan is secure as i've seen them pop off.

Attachments

• IMG_6453.PNG
    IMG_6453.PNG
    193 KB · Views: 262
I appreciate you want to make life as simple as possible, but bodging it now will only store up issues for the future. Pan connectors usually pop out mid flush, and the result isn't always pleasant, depending on what's just happened.... It looks to far out of alignment IMO to be salvageable, you also want to move the pan slightly, so l would bite the bullet, first reposition the pan as required and then adjust the pipework to suit the new position of the pan outlet.

OP,
The best option might be to cut the soil pipe stub flush with the wall - just as you would cut a CI hub flush withe wall.
You would then have room to play with. No flexible needed.

Is the WC spigot lower than the soil pipe? If it is you could pack the WC up on a footprint of ply.

Depends on how much time and money you want to spend, but a botched job could make for problems later. If it's only 3 to4 inches thats a near miss, always hard to fit. Cut soil flush to wall, chisel around soil to make enough room to slide on a 45 socket of a 45m/f (chamfer first and grease), then m/f 45 with straight pan con, cut fittings as required. Flexi is always last option.
Have you looked at fitting a frame with suspended pan, bit expensive but look great, and are easy to fit

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate what you have said about doing a proper job but for the moment this is kind of a quick fix, I just want the toilet to be in the right place, and fixed there! I have decided to go for the flexible approach, having gone for the better one suggested further up the thread, it seems to have good reviews on screwfix too.

At some point I will get round to ripping out the whole wc, re-tiling, sorting out the pipes etc and at that point I probably will adjust the position of the soil pipe in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back