Moving a toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im just considering the feasibilty of repositioning my bathroom. Basically its a standard 2 up 2 down, the back room is split down the middle leaving a small shower room and a long but thin bedroom. A better layout would be acheived by sacrificing the window in the bathroom. There would then be space for a full bathroom and a better shaped bedroom. Is it possible though to locate the toilet about 1.8m from the back wall running the soil pipe under the floorboards? This appears to be what my neighbours have done.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Joists are running in the right way, I think there are some central heating pipes in the way at the moment though so they would need to be redirected.

The job would involve:

Take down existing partition wall.

Build new partition wall for internal bathroom.

Move hot and cold pipes for toitlet, bath and sink from one corner of the room to the other.

Fit new waste for bath toilet and sink through to soil pipe on outside wall.

Fill holes in wall for the old pipes.

Make new connections to soil pipe.

Fit extractor fan including knocking hole in wall for outlet.

Sounds like a big job though.... Any ideas on costs?

You weren't my neighbour were you? :) I did exactly the same thing to a house with a similar layout a few years ago and it was a great success. Moved a dividing wall and switched the bathroom to become an internal room which turned a lousy layout into a really good one.

I had to run a 3m soil pipe for the WC between the joists and out to the external stack, but I was able to connect to the original outside branch without disturbing the stack. (Not that disturbing the stack is a big deal). Bath and basin wastes were run in a similar fashion, and using plastic pushfit saved a lot of time for rerouting H & C water and CH.

It's hard to cost. We bought a simple new suite for about £300, added a shower valve and screen, new chrome ladder towel radiator etc etc. Part tiled to full height, vinyl floor... I did it all myself, and I think that by the time all the bits and pieces were added on there probably wasn't much change out of a grand.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not unless you live in Warrington :D , I guess this is a common 2-up 2 down terrace problem though.

Sounds like its a good idea then. Not sure how much I could do myself though. I just fitted a new kitchen apart from the worktop and gas but this is a bit more complex. I didn't have to move any plumbing in the kitchen. Maybe I could get a plumber to move all the plumbing for me and fit the bathroom myself. New suites seem pretty cheap at the moment, wickes had a 3 -piece white set for only £180.

Something for the future anyway, Im currently renting the spare room out so Ill wait until my lodger moves on before I look into it properly.

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back