En-suite bathroom project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
in the very near future we're gonna be starting on the en-suite for our bedroom. There's enough room for a 2m x 1.8m bathroom, which will back onto the existing 'family' :rolleyes: bathroom of the same size. (i know, tiny right).

Anyway, i'm not new to DIY, but am always looking to extend my experience and knowledge. So some questions.

1. What insulation for the stud walls? Does it matter for an internal room?
2. Best method of joining the soil pipe of the new toilet to existing? (probably requires more info from me)
more questions later....

Sponsored Links
Internal walls dont need to be insulated.

But I always put some compressed loft insulation in primarily to reduce the sound transmission. Not the best material but its so cheap and available.

Tony

Sponsored Links
1. What insulation for the stud walls? Does it matter for an internal room?
Sound insulation is a B Regs requirement where a room with a w/c adjoins a habitable room but not required where the walls of an en-suite partition the room it serves; 25mm mineral wool is the minimum requirement but I use cavity insulation bats. For the stud boards you need to use a minimum Wallboard 10 (not standard Wallboard) or Soundblock; I use 15mm rather than 12.5mm & Moisture Resistant on the en-suite side. Before you start, you need to decide what size/weight tiles your going to hang; large/heavy format tiles may need a cement based waterproof backer board which you should use in wet areas anyway unless you tank the PB. Plasterboard has a maximum tile weight of 32 kg/sqm which reduces to 20 kg/sqm when plastered so don’t plaster where your tiling, it’s not necessary anyway.

2. Best method of joining the soil pipe of the new toilet to existing? (probably requires more info from me
Would need more info but I assume you realise what your doing is controlled building work is subject to Building Notice submission & inspection! As well as sound insulation, it should also satisfy B Regs. for waste, forced ventilation & electrics.

Hi,
I have just purchased a complete set of bathroom taps which I am going to fit myself after being prompted on by the how to guides, I went ahead and bought my taps online on Tuesday 4pm so thought maybe next weekend give myself time to think about it, they arrived this morning!! so guess what i will be doing this weekend, still pleased with my purchase and got free delivery
with a discount code a friend gave me beautiful taps from the London tap company well pleased, I will keep you updated :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back