Moving a waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im converting my bathroom in my bungalow into a new hall way by putting in a door where the window is. The new bathroom will be upstairs directly above where it is now. The big main waste pipe is in the way of the new opening. I want to move the pipe out of sight so it runs down inside the house and out below ground level. I have dug my hole where this is to be, but what i want to know how is best to break out through the engineering brick wall and connect up to the waste again? is there any regs i should be following? thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume the “big main waste pipe” you are referring to is around 110mm diameter! If so it is, in fact, the foul drain! If you are moving the toilet to 1st floor level you will almost certainly have to install a soil stack to vent the drain (this is not usually necessary with W/C’s at ground floor level). This work you are doing is subject to building control & there are definite rules you have to follow. Additionally, new drains/stacks have to be tested with someone from the council witnessing the test. Look at the building regs. for how you are supposed to do it (you can download them free from here www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=42 ) but if you are unsure, you would be best to get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Thanks Richard, some food for thought there. My building inspector is visiting on Tuesday to look at some foundations ive dug, so i will quiz him then. By soil stack do you mean the pipe that goes up and vents about 10foot up, I presumed i would need to extend this to so thats fine. Thanks again.

That sounds like the one; If it's on the outside of the property at the moment it's probably just an open vent but if you move the stack inside, you will either have to take it up through the roof or fit an air admitance valve but personally I don't like these!

Sponsored Links
You should have at least 1 open vent stack in the property. If you have more than 1 stack, the additions may have AAV's rather than being open vent..

bathjobby said:
You should have at least 1 open vent stack in the property. If you have more than 1 stack, the additions may have AAV's rather than being open vent..
Is this a BC requirement? I didn't manage to spot that in the regs! I have only one stack & it's been retrofited with an AAV in the loft by the previous owner, probably quiet some time ago; although the original, capped vent still appears above the roof tiles.

Is that the same as a Durgo valve?

Me old man just helped me run a new soil pipe from new bathroom to existing IC/soil pipe at the end of the drive.

Put a 4ft pipe off the IC outside the bathroom window (ground floor of bungalow) And fit a durgo valve to it. Is that ok?
He also did a leak test there with a matchstick etc, and i took photos of the trench and backfilled with shingle etc. Hope the inspoector is happy coz ive filled it all now.

oops, so detailed photos and a leak test with him present wont suffice. Is he going to wet himself if i tell him ive done it all and filled it?

festive said:
oops, so detailed photos and a leak test with him present wont suffice. Is he going to wet himself if i tell him ive done it all and filled it?
If you grovel & act the idiot maybe not but he could easily insist you uncover it all again!

NS215 said:
the last housing site i was on all had aav and no open vents

My first post....

.AAV's or air admitance valves (Manufacturer 'Durgo') are limited in how effective they air in maintaining a vented drain. Usually they are used on all soil connections between 5 houses. i.e. the head of the run has an SVP 'Soil and Vent Pipe', the next 4 have AAV's and the 5th has an SVP etc etc.

I have never heard of a situation where all units have AAV's, although when buidling less than 4 houses durgo values can be used in place of SVP's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back