Moving a waste stack connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(my first post - i've referred to solutions to other people's queries/problems for years)

I am changing my upstairs bathroom and routeing the bath waste under the floorboards to the cast iron stack.

The existing route is above the floorboards and connects to the stack through a 45degree connection at the level with the floorboards, attended by a ventilation connection about a metre higher up the stack.

The new route is about 3metres long, so the new waste pipe arrives at the stack substantially lower than the existing connection.

I am considering to install a new bath connection by way of a cast iron collar, however access is restricted - unsurprisingly!

I wonder instead to connect the bath to the downstairs (sink/washing machine) connection, routing the bath waste along a vertical section of 40mm waste pipe running parrallel to the stack.

Is this permitted in the building codes? Will the bath discharge into the kitchen sink or behind the washing machine?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Tim, Dorking

Sponsored Links
HI
you can run 40mm waste pipe parallel with soil pipe however try to connect it to the soil pipe at some point and not near the sink because
when emptying the bath at full bore water might come out from sink .

Thanks lunat,

Can i just confirm one point.

When you suggest "try to connect it to the soil pipe at some point", do you mean provide the bath waste with it's own dedicated connection to the stack, someway lower than the existing connection?

I wonder that you might alternatively be recommending that the bath waste be connected to the ground floor branch discharge pipe nearer to the stack, rather than nearer to the sink/washing machine.

regards, tim

HI

it is better to have bath own dedicated connection.it does not matter
where but try to avoid too close to sink waste pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Thanks once again for your response. I will make a brand new connection to the stack as you suggest.

Regards, Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back